effects of rain on exposed motors

Started by chpd46, February 17, 2007, 10:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chpd46

been awhile since I had one and got to wondering/worring about this , Alternators still function wet ? My dizzy is a points type GM w a Crane elec conversion, water still a problem w these?  how to deal w it ? I thought maybe seal silicone around the points door in the cap ? I am looking into moving the Alt up and in so it is behind the grille, but that does not keep any water out. With this old school set up, moving the Alt down is not possible and I will not update it.
The idea is to keep the truck mostly as is ,a pc of HR history

Dave

Ive ran a few cars with exposed motors with no problems. The only thing is to cover up the carb if its outside and not running as in motel or show with rain!
Dave :wink:  :arrow:  :wink:

Carnut

Back in the 60's/70's I ran my Model A Coupe, with exposed motor, in rain, sleet or snow. I never had any moisture problems, even in extreme downpours. And that was with a Mopar B Engine at the time when Mopar engines were notorious for moisture problems.

Only concerns I ever had were the rooster tails my Hiboy coupe would put up when cruising at speed on the highway. My ex Sister In Law still likes to tell stories about my cruising the ozarks in the rain.

Course that was with a generator and points ignition, still, I'd think alt's and electronic ign. should work ok, specially since a lot of wet stuff comes thru the radiator in the rain even under hoods.

I had an old Army blanket that I would lay over my engine from radiator shell to cowl to cover the engine when parked in the rain. Kept the blanket in place by placing the rear corners inside my doors and shutting the doors on the blanket ends and then a rope/bungy over the front near the radiator.

chpd46

that sounds good last thing I need is to be stranded on the side of the highway w my wife getting PO'd while i dry off a dizzy cap ,LOL, just had it out for a warn day run (+15) and a country back road burnout, LOL :D  trust me this ol gal RUNS, :twisted: sorry, no one around to run the camera  :wink:

kb426

TEAM SMART

Ed ke6bnl

I know my old jeep cherokee is not a Rod but this truck has been a farm truck since my girl crashed and totaled it.  I leave the hood up year round seems to help keep the rat infestation down in the engine compartment and I have a battery disconnect and has never had a problem. ED ke6bnl.  driving in the rain may be another story though.
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

donsrods

I drove my hoodless '27 almost daily for about 7 years, and we get some serious rains in Florida.  Last time I drove it was returning from Daytona in pouring rain for 5 solid hours.  Couldn't even see the guys taillights in front of me, and the car never missed a beat.  I always expected it to start sputtering at any time, and carried a can of WD40 just in case, but never needed it.

After sitting all day at work in the rain, it would sputter for a few seconds upon fire up, but then clean out ok.  This was with a dual point distributor.

Never failed to amaze me that all that water didn't stop it.

Don

Grandadeo

I've run my '32 over 50,000 miles with just a hood top with no real problems.  Been in some wicked rain and never missed a lick.  Now keeping the engine clean, that's another story.  Love the rooster tails but hate left turns.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

chpd46

I thought about pulling the fenders, but got to thinking about MN summers and passed on the idea ,LOL

Carps

I have no problems with rain, unless I stop.  Then for some reason I get wet.

But engine seems to stay dry, even without hood.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

GPster

Quote from: "donsrods"I drove my hoodless '27 almost daily for about 7 years, and we get some serious rains in Florida. Don
I'm surprised by how simple your answer is. I expected all kinds of hints about parts from inboard boat motors. I'm also surprised there are no hints from people that have "off-roaded". You know, the ones that run Jeeps with snorkles for the intakes and exhaust. I did it for 4 years in an un-fendered Model A and the best suggestion I could offer is run the negative cable of the battery to the engine block andground the engine to the frame/body and use a ground wire from the alternator to the engine block. Weather/water makes grounds act strange and not always can be found. GPster

donsrods

Quote from: GPster
Quote from: "donsrods"I drove my hoodless '27 almost daily for about 7 years, and we get some serious rains in Florida. Don

I'm surprised by how simple your answer is. I expected all kinds of hints about parts from inboard boat motors.

Well, I forgot to mention the bilge pump.  :D  :D

The comment about getting wet when you stop is true.  As long as you are moving the rain usually blows up over you, but when you are sitting at a light, that's when you really get soaked.

Don

chpd46

thanks for the responses , I'll carry a can WD40 under the seat and put a hood top on (wanted to anyway),probably dating myself here, but I remember an old early 70's HR article that showed rubber caps for the dizzy and coil ,4x4 stuff I think. I have not run an exposed motor since b4 that time and was just wondering about it  and the chances/means of getting ahead of a wet stall out. I want to run a full hood but have to figure out how to get that alt under the hood area first ,going to have to be old school as none of the current relocation kits will work, givin the tight spaces down low on this vintage hot rod truck and the no hole Camel Back 2.02 heads.

GPster

Quote from: "chpd46"I want to run a full hood but have to figure out how to get that alt under the hood area first ,going to have to be old school as none of the current relocation kits will work, givin the tight spaces down low on this vintage hot rod truck and the no hole Camel Back 2.02 heads.
Run an electric fuel pump and find a small alternator to sit on a bracket where the mechanical pump was? Maybe could use one of those water pump raising kits to help with the lower radiator hose? just ideas, GPster

chpd46

It is using a Hurst saddle mount, so it already has an elec. pump. I have not been able to find a water pump raising kit , I'd like to do that to get the fan up to the middle of the radiator , this is an orig early 60's built rod that if I was building today I would do different, but I want to keep it as built to preserve the vintage caracter w some minor changes that can be changed back including the Generator as soon as I can find a chrome cover for one. Just about everything from the firewall forward would have to be changed to update anything to modern style including steering, mtr mounts, front axle etc .
I'd like to do this -