Brakes and things

Started by 29abone, February 11, 2007, 03:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29abone

8)

Does anyone know what OEM's use or used 8" or 8" dual diaphram power boosters??  And does anyone know of a good brake tech site, I want to put together a front disc brake system for my 56 F-100, solid axle.  Yeah I know I can buy a kit, and I may yet, but I want try and develop something different.  Can a disc/drum or a disc/disc master cylinder be used with drum/drum brakes, at least temporarily?  I will probably want to do a two stage conversion.  What vehicles use a remote master cylinder as orig equip?  What components should the combination valve match, and do you need a proportion valve with one?

Lots of questions, but I'm sure the answers are here, thanks guys.

Larry
Larry

The joy is in the journey.

junkyardjeff

Pintos and mustang IIs used a small booster and master cylinders for disc can not be used for drums.  Jeff

phat rat

A disc/drum master will work but the frt brakes will be touchy. I know, I drove my cpe that way for the first 23,000 mi. So if your going to up grade shortly it would work. However at the cost of master cyls it's not that big an expense to get the one that works right with drum/drum and change master again when you change to disc/drum. If your looking for a small dual diaphram booster look at the one in an Astro van that's what I put on my cpe and it works great
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Leon

I put an 8" booster on my 54 Chevy and because I'm running a little low on the vacuum, I had to switch out to a dual 8".  I also went from a 1 1/8 bore to a 1" bore, now I'm getting a lot more pressure.  Works fine now.

enjenjo

Mustang in the 80s used a 8" double diaphram booster in some applications. no limit engineering has a kit that uses this booster.

If you use a disc master cylinder, with drum residual check valves, it works fine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

46 fordpickup

I got a 56 chevy pickup and i used master,booster and porportioning valve from a 87 chevy caprice. It still has i beam axle and i bought a kit to change it over to discs i think it was 69 camero rotors i used . the kit came with a couple of spacers to adapt the rotors to the spindles and a big flat piece of steel that bolted where the backing plate bolted on to. It looked really easy to make but it only cost $ 200 and i had alot of other stuff to do on it so i used the one i bought.The master is aluminium with plastic tank.The tank i had to change with one from 88 full size chevy half ton .I mounted it on the firewall and also used the pedal out of the caprice. the bracket for the pedal is held in with 4 bolts that hold booster on and 1 other one to the dash it was a really easy install and they work great with 0 real wheel lock up.I also used much the same on my 46 ford pick up but it has been clipped with a caprice front end.