first local show of the season

Started by bombcan, April 27, 2004, 07:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bombcan

This past saturday was our first local show of the year.  It was held in a small town about 20 miles or so away.  I spent the better part of Thursday and Friday nights making sure the model A was as ready as it could be.

Saturday I was leading a group of three cars when I saw a dead armadilla (is that how it's spelled?) laying in the road.  Just like my daddy taught me 30 years ago, I moved over to straddle the dead animal, thinking he'd just simply pass under the car.  WRONG, my daddy never drove anything with dropped spindles I guess.  There was a gawd awful splat, then in my rear view mirror I watched tiny pieces of armadilla scattering all over the road.

When we got to the show grounds I pulled over just inside of the gate to check for damage.  There was no body damage, but every cavity on the MII frontend was full of guts and hair.  I got a stick and was able to get the biggest parts of it out of the frontend, then got one of my detail brushes and finished up as well as I could.

After I got registered and finished wiping down the outside of the car, I folded the hood back, there were more guts, everywhere.  The top of the crossmember was full, but this time it was stuck to wires, nuts or anything else that got in the way.  It took me at least another 30 minutes to get the innards out of the engine compartment, the firewall, the underside of the hood, the front of the oil pan, etc.

The smell was still there, so I looked under the car, the front of the gas tank was covered in something that looked like spray on glue, with hairs sticking out of it.  The muffler had stuff on it, the drive shaft , well the entire undercarriage of the car had something on it, almost.

All in all I spent 2 hours and used two full rolls of paper towels wiping what I could reach under my car, and carrying it to the nearest trash can.
Trying all the while trying not to gag while carring the handfulls across the grounds.

Luckily the wind was carrying the smell of my car away from the crowd so most people had no idea what had happened.  I was able to stop by a carwash and clean it up on the way home.

On the plus side I was very suprised that my car took 2nd place in the hotrod/streetrod class, at it's first show since putting it back together.

Bruce Dorsi

Q:  Why did God put armadillos and oppossums on Earth?

A:  For MULCH !!!!    :lol:

It sounds like your show was not so much fun, after all!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

purplepickup

Well Rob, that's quite a way to start off the season......a fresh car with ripe armadillo guts all over it.  Just be thankful you had something to do rather than just sitting in a lawn chair next to your car drinking a beer. :shock:

I feel your pain brother.  I did the same thing with a bloated dead raccoon a couple of years ago.  I'm used to driving a full sized van which easily straddles roadkill but my rod only has about 3 inches of ground clearance in front. When I screwed up and tried to straddle that coon with my pickup he popped and splattered all over everything.  Besides being real ripe and full of maggots, coons are really greasy too.   .....uurrrpppp!
George

bombcan

maybe the only good thing that came out of it, I have always named my cars and was struggling with naming this one.  But, now "dilla killa" seems to fit!  LOL

Even with the mess,You were better off to straddle it....While driving in Texas,I ran over one of those suckers...while he was alive...and damned near flipped the car!When I looked in the mirror,he was still crossing the road!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"