Glass storage

Started by jaybee, February 01, 2007, 04:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

What's the best way to store automotive glass long-term while it's out of the car?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Dave

Quote from: "jaybee"What's the best way to store automotive glass long-term while it's out of the car?

Interesting question.. I have no answer..
Dave :arrow:

Sean

A friend of mine has 3 or 4 windshields stored in the loft over his shop. He wrapped each one with a moving blanket and stood them on edge in a little rack he made out of 2x4's.

Leon

I've been told on edge so they don't warp.  I have a couple stored flat on a couple padded arms and am not sure if they have moved over the years.

chopped

Under the bed.  Set a flat one as a centerpiece on the dining room table for about a year one time.

41woodie

Take a hammer and beat the crap out of it, if your luck is like mine it's going to get broke eventually.

Carnut

Quote from: "41woodie"-Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Heh, heh, I've always been a wrinkled duct tape kinda guy.

Check out the dash just above the push buttons:

enjenjo

Quote from: "41woodie"Take a hammer and beat the crap out of it, if your luck is like mine it's going to get broke eventually.

I'm with you!!!!!
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

model a vette

I've been told that they have to be stored on edge or they will flatten out because glass acts like a slow liquid seeking to flatten out.
I think safety glass (two pieces of glass with plastic in between) will slide the two pieces on the plastic and unwind any curve cast into it if stored flat.
Ed

enjenjo

You can go to a glass shop, the get windshields in boxes with cardboard dividers that support the glass, They will usually give them away, because they have no use for them after the glass is installed.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Thanks.  I know how they ship glass on trucks and moving vans, so if I can't get a purpose-built box I can probably build one.  I'll build a rack in the rafters to store it there, then beat it to bits later...no time for that right now.  ;)
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

39deluxe

I agree with the on edge storage. They are less likely to get broken that way too.