Mustang II Spring information

Started by 348tripower, April 25, 2004, 06:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

Anybody have the spring diameter and number of coils for the various Mustang II springs available? And maybe over all lengths.  I would like to go higher on the front of the 35. I still have a tire rub and need to go up about an inch in the front to cure it. Took it out on its maiden voyage yesterday. 50 miles on the odometer now. I still have a few things to sort out, but it really runs good. It was fairly cool yersterday, but no overheating problems and the .040 over 283 runs perfectly. Can't remember the exact rear end ratio, but it is around 273 making it  a real fuel miser.
Don :lol:
Don Colliau

GPster

I have  a Moog  catalog and it has all that stuff in it. Unfortunately I'm not good at all with scaning and printing and sending and the wife and granddaughter Are still enjoying Sunday morning sleep. Give me an idea of what you already have in there and if they seem strong enough and tell me if you have cut them or not. They way I have to look them up that includes free height and installed height and design weight. I would have to start by looking them up by coil diameter which would tell me how many coil, the diameter of the wire the coil is made from, how many coils, free height, installed height and then the Moog part number that I would look up and find out what it fits. A better spring might not even be out of a Mustang II. If your ride is OK and you just want an inch you might try finding one of those spacers that fits between the bottom of the spring and the lower "A" arm. To get an inch at the wheel you might only need 3/4" at the spring. Changing springs to change ride height can be real touchy with the strength and ride. I read Bob Paulin's answers religously and understand about half of it. Let me know where you're starting and I'll try to tell you where you're going. GPster

Dirk35

Don, can you shoot me an e-mail? I need a softer and shorter spring. I have the stock MII springs in my 35 from a 1974 MII with the V-6.

If you can shoot me an e-mail,, Ill measure mine (the diameter) and count the coils and perhaps we could work out a trade.

dirk 1935@yahoo.com

(loose the space between the k and the 1)

Kctom

Quote from: "348tripower"Anybody have the spring diameter and number of coils for the various Mustang II springs available? And maybe over all lengths.  I would like to go higher on the front of the 35. I still have a tire rub and need to go up about an inch in the front to cure it. Took it out on its maiden voyage yesterday. 50 miles on the odometer now. I still have a few things to sort out, but it really runs good. It was fairly cool yersterday, but no overheating problems and the .040 over 283 runs perfectly. Can't remember the exact rear end ratio, but it is around 273 making it  a real fuel miser.

My 36 Ford dedan had 350 lb. springs under it. Had to go to 375 lb, To get it driveable on the street.

GPster

Dirk, According to the book you springs appear to be the biggest, stiffest,heaviest and longest springs of the lot. Anything would be better than those. Just remember if you cut coils to bring them down you'll make everything else worse. GPster

I have 2 new sets of coils that came with 2 differant Heidts front ends that I have installed...Switched both over to coilovers. 1 pair is definately longer than the other but not sure if they're the same diameter,I will be glad to measure the length,diameter or whatever if one of you guys are interested.They are free for the asking!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

348tripower

I checked my spring this morning before leaving for work. I seem to have a pair that has been cut off.  My loaded spring length is 7 inches. The shortest spring I could find from Eaton is 8 15/16 at a 1500lb load. I will either have to find out what these were originally and cut off less or add another spring spacer. I have added one 1" tall rubber spacer already and I think 1/2" more would cure the problem. I did measure the wire diameter and it is .600.  I am not sure how the count the coils, but I have seven or five free coils the way it looks to me. I see most of the ones in picutres have 8 or 6 free coils, I guess. The rub I have is not wrecking anything, but it is anoying.  If anybody knows what spring I may have, please jump in here. And 40, some measurements would be helpfull. I could take you up on the offer if they are close.
:lol: Thanks,
Don

Quote from: "40"I have 2 new sets of coils that came with 2 differant Heidts front ends that I have installed...Switched both over to coilovers. 1 pair is definately longer than the other but not sure if they're the same diameter,I will be glad to measure the length,diameter or whatever if one of you guys are interested.They are free for the asking!
Don Colliau

Dirk35

Quote from: "40"I have 2 new sets of coils that came with 2 differant Heidts front ends that I have installed...Switched both over to coilovers. 1 pair is definately longer than the other but not sure if they're the same diameter,I will be glad to measure the length,diameter or whatever if one of you guys are interested.They are free for the asking!

40, Im interested in knowing what those two springs are and gettign a set off of you.

Perhaps someone here with more experience can help me to decide which spring woul dbest suit my needs. What Ive got is a 1935 for PU with a Larry Towes MII crossmember, and stock MII parts from a 1974 MII with a V6. I put a Ford 302 in it and it sets pretty tight in there. I recessed the firewall the 4" it kicked out stock and another 2" at the deck of the block.

Id like to run 2" dropped spindles.

Im thinking something close to the:
33 - 34 Fords and 33 - 35 Chevys (part #)M25652  (spring rate)317
(FreeHeight)14   would suit my truck the best.

What do you all think?    

GPster

Don, as near as I  can tell from the catalog is you have a very heavy sey of springs. Most of the springs show being from a .580 or .590 diameter wire ( there is only one lighterat .565). My catalog doesn't show a number of coils. Most of the springs show a free height of between 12 1/2" and 14" ( 12.608 - 13.916 ). Believe it or not the lightest springs in the group are shown in Pinto wagons. The installed height of all the springs is shown at 9.500" so even Eatons figure is low so there has probably been some hacking. I would say that maybe where you would like it to be might make it easier to align too. GPster

Had a chance to get out to the shop and measure the springs....KCTom has alreadyspoken for the taller set...the remaining set measures a touch over 11" tall standing on the bench,has 6 or 7 coils depending on how they are counted and I'm estimating(because my son has my caliper)the diameter at aproximately .590 or.60 They are new from Heidts....let me know if you think they will work for you.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

348tripower

Sounds like they would be worth a try. I think there is room to work there.
Email me at dcolliau@yahoo.com.
Thanks,
PS  GPster'
 Thanks for the info. It is very valuable, I may ask for some part numbers. I'll give this set a try.

Quote from: "40"Had a chance to get out to the shop and measure the springs....KCTom has alreadyspoken for the taller set...the remaining set measures a touch over 11" tall standing on the bench,has 6 or 7 coils depending on how they are counted and I'm estimating(because my son has my caliper)the diameter at aproximately .590 or.60 They are new from Heidts....let me know if you think they will work for you.
Don Colliau