New Member Intro.

Started by Robert Ohmen, January 23, 2007, 11:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I've mentioned this before (and it might be met better because you evidently already have the subframe). Years ago when Pat Gunalh was an editor of Rod and Custom he narrowed a subframe to get the track that he wanted. He took a slice out of the center of the crossmember and welded the crossmember back together and the only thing he modified on the steering was to take the same amount out of the center link of the tie rod. I would do some jigging. Leave the back half of the subframe on for the length so the back end of the frame can be used for leverage and to help check the distance between the rails for width for squareness. This might be "overkill" but if the early frame is anything like a '53 the center crossmember is not removeable because it's riveted in (or my memory is shot). You might leave the length of the subframe on for a while after it's narrowed. The ends of the subframe and that stock center crossmember might help you get things lined up straight. Now I better take a nap and set my alarm for 9:00 PM Chat Time. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"I've mentioned this before (and it might be met better because you evidently already have the subframe). Years ago when Pat Gunalh was an editor of Rod and Custom he narrowed a subframe to get the track that he wanted. He took a slice out of the center of the crossmember and welded the crossmember back together and the only thing he modified on the steering was to take the same amount out of the center link of the tie rod. I would do some jigging. Leave the back half of the subframe on for the length so the back end of the frame can be used for leverage and to help check the distance between the rails for width for squareness. This might be "overkill" but if the early frame is anything like a '53 the center crossmember is not removeable because it's riveted in (or my memory is shot). You might leave the length of the subframe on for a while after it's narrowed. The ends of the subframe and that stock center crossmember might help you get things lined up straight. Now I better take a nap and set my alarm for 9:00 PM Chat Time. GPster

I remember that article Joe :!:  Man that was a long time ago... Ive never subbed anything but i have used the MII stuff and I like it but it has its place specially with front weights. I would think with the right cross member it would be fine under your car . Dont take my thinking a gospel though. I was wrong one time :lol:  When it comes to the newer stuff :wink:  Like yours enjenjo and some of the other guys are the ones to listen to.  If its like 34 and down i can give my nickle..
Dave :wink:  :arrow:  :!:  :arrow:

rooster

Welcome to RRT.   My son is doing a 49, we rebuilt the stock frontrend and added disk brakes (bolt on) , used 53 uprights to drop 1", cut the coils to get afew inches more, used SBC LT1 headers to clear stock steering box, got alot more to do been sitting for awhile now.