New Member Intro.

Started by Robert Ohmen, January 23, 2007, 11:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Ohmen

Hello,
I'm new to this, so I guess I should tell you folks a bit about myself. I'm a has been bodyman and shop manager, and car nut who also rides a Harley. I have a 1950 chevy sport coupe and a 1951 chevy sedan delivery that I'm working on at this time. I have a few questions about the modifications I want to do and couldn't think of anyone better to ask than the people who have already done them. I have lots of years of experience in autobody repair, but I haven't seen it all. Hope we can help each other out.    Bob.

Dave

Well Start askin away.. I gots a harley too! and a 32 coupe and a roadster im building to sell.
WELCOME
Dave

WZ JUNK

Welcome.

Fire away with any questions you have.  I am working on a 1954 210 sedan.  It has a lot of miles on it from moving it in and out of the shop.  A project that I have been on for too long.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Robert Ohmen

Quote from: "jusjunk"Well Start askin away.. I gots a harley too! and a 32 coupe and a roadster im building to sell.
WELCOME
Dave
Well, here goes. I am getting ready to subframe my 51 chevy sedan delivery with a unit taken from a 79 or newer pontiac phoenix(which is the same part no. as a nova of the same years). How do I get info from anyone who has done this before.I mean, do I ask individuals (like yourself) or post it as a forum topic? Am I dumb or what?     Bob

EMSjunkie

Welcome to our board,

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Robert Ohmen

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Welcome.

Fire away with any questions you have.  I am working on a 1954 210 sedan.  It has a lot of miles on it from moving it in and out of the shop.  A project that I have been on for too long.

John
Hello, I know what you mean by "too long". I bought these cars 5 and 6 years ago and they have kept me very busy and very broke for most of that time. The 50 was bought as a donor but was in too good condition , so I bought a third. So far I have transferred the entire floor and the rt.rear quarter panel. I am working on the rear floor panels (self fabricated)now and planing ahead to when the body comes off the frame,and the modifications to the frame. Are you familiar with subframe swapping/ installing? I've only helped with one and that was a long time ago. Thanks for any advice you can give!    Bob

Robert Ohmen

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Welcome to our board,

Vance
Duuuuh, yup! I think so, too. lol

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Welcome to the RRT.

I've done several subframe jobs. First off the Phoenix/Nova front end is topo wide for your Chevy. The tread width is about 3" too wide. One from a Malibu, Cutlass or the like from 78 to 87 will fit much better. If you want to use the Phoenix front clip, you can use Corvette wheels from a C3 series Vette, and gain 2" on each side. The rear end from the Phoenix fits perfect.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rayvyn

Aloha Bob, and welcome to the RRT... :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

WZ JUNK

Hello, I know what you mean by "too long". I bought these cars 5 and 6 years ago and they have kept me very busy and very broke for most of that time. The 50 was bought as a donor but was in too good condition , so I bought a third. So far I have transferred the entire floor and the rt.rear quarter panel. I am working on the rear floor panels (self fabricated)now and planing ahead to when the body comes off the frame,and the modifications to the frame. Are you familiar with subframe swapping/ installing? I've only helped with one and that was a long time ago. Thanks for any advice you can give!    Bob[/quote]

I have built some frames with Mustang suspension and I have done a few subframe swaps.  On your car, I would use an aftermarket crossmember and go with the Mustang II suspension.  I like the way that the subframe swaps ride, drive, and stop.  But the ease of the Mustang II installation with the top hat type frame that you have on the Chevy, I would go with the Mustang stuff.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Can't help at all with the sub-frame swap but wanted to say hello and welcome!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

msuguydon

I am a newbie to the whole Rod/Car thing, I am working on  a 58 Chevy.  I don't know my way around a garage or a car but I am learning, all I can give you is moral support  :D

That's gotta be worth something!
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Robert Ohmen

Quote from: "enjenjo"Welcome to the RRT.

I've done several subframe jobs. First off the Phoenix/Nova front end is topo wide for your Chevy. The tread width is about 3" too wide. One from a Malibu, Cutlass or the like from 78 to 87 will fit much better. If you want to use the Phoenix front clip, you can use Corvette wheels from a C3 series Vette, and gain 2" on each side. The rear end from the Phoenix fits perfect.
I think my tape measure lied to me because looking at them side by side, it looks like you are right. Guess I'll go out to the barn and roll around in the snow again with a new tape measure. Before, I measured a difference of 1" (the subframe being wider). Both have stock wheels and tires on them. Another variable may be that I first measured the 50 coupe and assumed that the 51 would be the same (the frame part numbers are the same). I also notice the brakes were changed in 51 and the drums might be different. I'll have to look in the book to see.  THANKS!         Bob

enjenjo

Here's a set of photos on doing a frame clip. It's a Chevy truck, but the principal is the same.  http://enjenjo.com/frameclip.html
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.