700 R4 pan gasket leaking

Started by Learpilot, January 23, 2007, 08:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

I checked the pan to make sure it was not bent before I installed it. It is the stock pan. I got a filter and cork gasket from Autozone. When I first put it on it did not leak. I torqued the pan bolts. It has about a 1000 miles on it and I checked and the pan bolts are still tight.  
Is there a better gasket ? Should I use a gasket sealer ?
Thanks for your info !!!
Rick Harris

BFS57

Hello;
Yes, I have the same problem. The cork gaskets don't seem to hold up good. I was told by a really reliable source to go to the dealer, which I did and got one from them. Totally different!
Now, I'm just waiting to have enough time to change it out.
I also hear that using "sealants" to put the gasket on can ruin the transmission!
I'm no expert but thats what I have observed.

Bruce

Leon

I bought an aluminum pan at a car show and put it on and haven't had a leak since.  The stock pan was clean and straight but seeped a little.  The new pan seals great.  I think I got it for about $40.

Learpilot

Quote from: "Leon"I bought an aluminum pan at a car show and put it on and haven't had a leak since.  The stock pan was clean and straight but seeped a little.  The new pan seals great.  I think I got it for about $40.

Thanks  Bruce and Leon for the info. I will get a better gasket. Is your aluminum pan  thick at the flange for the better seal and what gasket do you have ?
Thanks Rick Harris

phat rat

Can't tell for sure how low your car sits, but one bad thing about the aluminum pans is if you bump or scrape the pan it might break. It won't  bend like a steel pan will.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Learpilot

Quote from: "phat rat"Can't tell for sure how low your car sits, but one bad thing about the aluminum pans is if you bump or scrape the pan it might break. It won't  bend like a steel pan will.
I have a lot of ground clearance. Good info though !!!
Thanks Rick Harris.

Leon

I have a fair amount of clearance so I don't think that should be a problem.  The pan rail is quite a bit thicker than the steel and is very rigid.  I use a rubber gasket without any sealer.  One reason I went to the Aluminum pan is because the steel one had one of those bolt-in drain plugs that I couldn't get sealed (along with it seeping at the rail).  I'm running a trans temp gauge and with the alum. pan I was able to weld a fitting in the side for the sender and keep the drain on the bottom that the pan came with.  On the steel pan because it was drawn steel, it hardened and when I tried welding on it, it cracked.  I've had that happen before and you just end up chasing the crack around.  The pan I found is a stock depth so it is higher than most of everything else under there.

Dave

I got a stock depth amulinum pan also and it doesnt seem to leak (the seal around the shift shaft does) and ive never hit anything even after drivin off the curb in indy and bending the oil pan a bit :wink: Honest I just came out of the liquer store and i was sober and the sun was in my eyes Had i have been drinking id have an excuse...
Dave :wink:

Learpilot

Quote from: "jusjunk"I got a stock depth amulinum pan also and it doesnt seem to leak (the seal around the shift shaft does) and ive never hit anything even after drivin off the curb in indy and bending the oil pan a bit :wink: Honest I just came out of the liquer store and i was sober and the sun was in my eyes Had i have been drinking id have an excuse...
I found  a stock depth aluminum pan with a gasket on Ebay for about $40.00.
This is the greatest forum ever !!!  
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO !!!  
Rick Harris

phat rat

Quote from: "jusjunk"I got a stock depth amulinum pan also and it doesnt seem to leak (the seal around the shift shaft does) and ive never hit anything even after drivin off the curb in indy and bending the oil pan a bit :wink: Honest I just came out of the liquer store and i was sober and the sun was in my eyes Had i have been drinking id have an excuse...

That's only because your car is so high off the ground I'd get a nosebleed riding in it. Those of us who have a fear of heights have our cars sitting a little closer to the ground. LOL  I've straightened my pan out more than once and if it was an aluminum one it would've been toast a long time ago along with the trans
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Learpilot

Quote from: "phat rat"

That's only because your car is so high off the ground I'd get a nosebleed riding in it. Those of us who have a fear of heights have our cars sitting a little closer to the ground. LOL  I've straightened my pan out more than once and if it was an aluminum one it would've been toast a long time ago along with the trans
I love to be high off the ground, that is why I fly a Learjet 45 for a living. I also love going real fast , 460 knots or 530 mph.
Rick Harris