HOT ROD BLACK ................

Started by 1FATGMC, December 28, 2006, 12:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Any of you guys used this stuff yet??  I just saw it in Hot Rod and it looks like it might be a good deal and the price doesn't look bad:

http://kirkerautomotive.com/html/hot_rod_black.html

c ya,

Sum

Rayvyn

Quote from: "1FATGMC"  

Any of you guys used this stuff yet??  I just saw it in Hot Rod and it looks like it might be a good deal and the price doesn't look bad:

c ya,

Sum

If I remember right, that's the stuff they used on an episode of "Trucks" a couple of weeks ago. Seemed to work well and looked easy to spray. They used a flat clear over theirs. The truck looked darned good when it was done. Sorry for not knowing more about it than this.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Dave

Ive seen it advertised but ive never tried it. From experience from the old days and on to the new base clear systems . Why not do a black base and a clear with flattening agent in it?
I used to do this 25 years ago. I think it should still work :?:
Dave :!:  :arrow:

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "1FATGMC"  

c ya,

Sum

My brother is looking at using this stuff on his truck.  To me it makes more sense to use this single stage.  It is less material to buy and fewer coats to shoot.  That means less chance of something going wrong.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

The Kirker people are good to deal with. They will refer you to smartshoppersinc.com. That is a retail outlet. They were good to do business with. My exp. with single stage urethane hasn't been wonderful. If you expect this color to sit outside and be great 5 years from now, I think you'll be disappointed. If you keep the car in a shed and use it periodically, you'll be happy. If you put a flattened clear over it, it will last alot longer.
TEAM SMART

EMSjunkie

Does it come in Purple :?:  8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Ed ke6bnl

1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

phat46

Notice that they tell you to use a positive pessure air suplied respirator with this paint...those isocyanates can kill you  :shock:  I like my "impliment " Matte black enamal $6.00 a qt.... :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Does it come in Purple :?:  8)

Vance

Vance , you going to change the colour on your blue car or a different car now?

For longer lasting paint the flattened clear coat would seem a good idea.... raises the co$t of the paint job though.
:wink:  :!:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

I wouldn't hesitate to use it at all.  At $70/gal with activator it's only about twice the cost of John Deere Blitz Black.  I wouldn't worry about it being a single stage paint either.  It's urethane which is much more durable than enamel.  I used acrylic enamel on my truck and it's just as shiney now as it was 12 years ago and it's seen a lot of sunshine.

One thing I'd like to see is what the finish looks like. A friend painted his Harley with a Hotrod Black and it is just a little too glossy for me.  It was either House of Color or Dupont...not sure which.  I think the look of John Deere paint is just about perfect.   If Kirker produces the same finish I'd use it in a heartbeat.  

One problem I've had with JD is that if you aren't careful mixing the reducer and activator into the paint it makes little granular stuff.  It strains out but I don't like it.

What are you going to paint Sumner?

This is JD Blitz black
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "purplepickup"
What are you going to paint Sumner?

Maybe the Desoto someday if I ever get around to it.  I would like the body flat black and the bumper and grill work the color of your headers since I can't afford to re-chrome those.

My truck needs a complete re-do bad and I always considered doing it in flat black with the flames glossy.  There use to be a car on the salt like that and I liked it.

It will probably be at least a year or 2 though before I get to either of these projects :cry: .

That bike looks great.  You are a good painter and I agree I'll bet this stuff would hold up pretty good and it isn't like you have $1000 into materials.

c ya,

Sum

Dave

This is a good post cause im getting dangerously close to thinking about color for the roadster. Id sure like to do it all in flat black but i need to sell this puppy down the road and im not sure i can get  20k+ for a flat black 32 roadster as nice as its gonna be. When I sold my 30 model a a few years ago it went quick cause it had the look but i think i lost some cause it was flat black?
Anyone...
yes ..... no....
Dave
oh ya if i do it flat black it will be smooth as a babys behind .. Frame and body but it all needs to come apart and be sanded for shiney stuff..

enjenjo

I have a buddy that does a couple 32 glass roadsters a year, they all get flat black, and he has no trouble selling them in that price range.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have a buddy that does a couple 32 glass roadsters a year, they all get flat black, and he has no trouble selling them in that price range.

Ok does he wanna sell mine ?
Dave :arrow:
jus kiddin

Carps

I'm over Hot Rod black, just traded mine for some blue.  :wink:

Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.