Tie rod reamer

Started by Dave, December 24, 2006, 08:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Just noticed yesterday that the tie rod end on my pittman arm is on the bottom and this arm doesnt thave the taper on both side so i cant install it on the top were it needs to be. anyone got a reamer? Frank maybe? I looked em up in speedways catalog and i can get a new arm cheaper :!:  :!:
Dave

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "jusjunk"Just noticed yesterday that the tie rod end on my pittman arm is on the bottom and this arm doesnt thave the taper on both side so i cant install it on the top were it needs to be. anyone got a reamer? Frank maybe? I looked em up in speedways catalog and i can get a new arm cheaper :!:  :!:
Dave

Yep!

They're about $100 each.

Because we're always playing around with suspension and steering geometry using different ball joints and tie-rod ends, I've got a couple of the 7° (1-1/2-inches-per-foot) and the 10° (2-inches-per-foot) reamers that are the most common.

If you're interested in a weekend trip to Maine, I would be happy to accommodate you.....lol!

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

enjenjo

I have one of each too. Of course I also have the  infamous 10 inch reamer that you are welcome to use.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have one of each too. Of course I also have the  infamous 10 inch reamer that you are welcome to use.

Oh boy i knew that was comming! Ok well its nothing that has to be done right away so if you dont mind doing it or letting me use it while im there ill prolly bring it with me when we do the BBQ thing.
Dave

enjenjo

What ever works for you Dave. :roll:

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"What ever works for you Dave. :roll:

Well in that case go to the garage and grab it and run up here. Ill get some sodas or beer if ya like and ill wrap up a rock from the driveway and you will have a present to open while ur here too! Just think not only could you spend xmas eve with your old pal Dave but after we open presents ill feed ya. Heck ill feed ya before.  Better yet on the present ,,,your not allergic to wool are you ?
Dave
8)  :wink:  :arrow:

enjenjo

Quoteyour not allergic to wool are you ?

You're not giving me Vances present are you??? :shock: You are a Baaaad boy.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quoteyour not allergic to wool are you ?

You're not giving me Vances present are you??? :shock: You are a Baaaad boy.

Its OK Frank, I don't mind "sloppy seconds" :lol:  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

GPster

THIS IS FROM SOMONE THAT HAS SOMETHING THAT SEEMS TO WORK BUT IS NOT SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW WHY (he also has trouble with Cap Lock)Years ago my machinist friend gave me a tool that I think was a tool for use on a mill. He had evidently bought stuff from a shop that was going out of business and he got two so he gave me one. It has a Morris Taper on the chuck end and the machining end is tappered. The numbers on the tool are TD15570TR-2-A                                                       . The line below that reads                         49753 L(in a diamond) M4                  .  Running this by hand with Vise Grips and a Crescant wrench seems to make a taper that Ford tie rod ends works in real well. It seems to work well when you have something that has been tapered for a GM tie rod and you want to do a Ford tie rod from the opposite side. This tool was passed to me by a second generation of machinist that also made me aware that 11/16" fine thread taps are also used in the repair of Massey Furgesons and also knows how to make transmissions for Allison powered "pulling tractors" from gears out of 13 speed transmissions truck transmissions. I could loan you this but I'm afraid the holidays will have shiping tied up til after the first. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"THIS IS FROM SOMONE THAT HAS SOMETHING THAT SEEMS TO WORK BUT IS NOT SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW WHY (he also has trouble with Cap Lock)Years ago my machinist friend gave me a tool that I think was a tool for use on a mill. He had evidently bought stuff from a shop that was going out of business and he got two so he gave me one. It has a Morris Taper on the chuck end and the machining end is tappered. The numbers on the tool are TD15570TR-2-A                                                       . The line below that reads                         49753 L(in a diamond) M4                  .  Running this by hand with Vise Grips and a Crescant wrench seems to make a taper that Ford tie rod ends works in real well. It seems to work well when you have something that has been tapered for a GM tie rod and you want to do a Ford tie rod from the opposite side. This tool was passed to me by a second generation of machinist that also made me aware that 11/16" fine thread taps are also used in the repair of Massey Furgesons and also knows how to make transmissions for Allison powered "pulling tractors" from gears out of 13 speed transmissions truck transmissions. I could loan you this but I'm afraid the holidays will have shiping tied up til after the first. GPster

Id like to see what you have there Joe. As far as sending it to me to use dont worry about it! Im gonna take my pitman arm when we get together for the bbq build and fix it at Franks. You might think about bringing your tool along so we can all look at it!  :wink:
Dave :!:  :arrow:

enjenjo

Dave likes looking at tools

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "enjenjo"Dave likes looking at tools

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Ed ke6bnl

this guy on ebay sells reamer not sure if they would be good for your purpose

http://myworld.ebay.com/tltrades
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

kb426

I've used an everyday pipe reamer with good results. I know the taper wasn't exact but was close enough that the taper made contact for a substanial distance. Desperation tool.
TEAM SMART

tomslik

i bought mine off of ebay from xkut but i just did a search and they must not be there anymore BUT their e-mail is XKUT@pa.net
they're cheapees but no more than i use 'em....i bought both common balljoint taper reamers for less than 1 of speedways...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list