'67 Chevy P/U disc brakes

Started by ragdol, April 20, 2004, 11:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragdol

Short of finding an original '70 up disc brake setup, what parts can I use to convert '67 Chevy P/U to front discs. I realize that I'll be going from 6 to 5 lugs, no problem there. Or who in the aftermarket makes a conversion? Thanks for any help. Larry.

enjenjo

You can do it with 73 to 87 spindle and brake assemblies. there is an outer tie rod end change, but everything else bolts right up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "ragdol"Short of finding an original '70 up disc brake setup, what parts can I use to convert '67 Chevy P/U to front discs. I realize that I'll be going from 6 to 5 lugs, no problem there. Or who in the aftermarket makes a conversion? Thanks for any help. Larry.

i've got a 71 setup less booster and prop valve i'll make ya a hellofadeal on.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

ragdol

Thanks for your replies. I'll talk to the customer as to which way he would like to go. Larry.

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"The upper ball joint on the 67 control arm is different than the 73-up spindles as I recall....... besides the mentioned tie-rod end.

there is also the good possiblity that i am thinking of a different vehicle conversion / swap

that's what i've heard,too.

the stuff i've got should be a direct bolt-in other than the 5 on 5 pattern for wheels.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Mojo

Quote from: "ragdol"Short of finding an original '70 up disc brake setup, what parts can I use to convert '67 Chevy P/U to front discs. I realize that I'll be going from 6 to 5 lugs, no problem there. Or who in the aftermarket makes a conversion? Thanks for any help. Larry.

I remember one fella said he took a 80ish chevy truck, and removed the whole front crossmember, suspension and all. It's held in place by some rivets between the crossmember and frame. Anyhow, he put that frontend under a 67ish C-10. If I remember right, it lined up correctly by the front rivet holes... he just had to drill a couple more using the existing rivet holes as guides. He snagged the master cylinder from the 80 too, to use with the disk.

OldSub

Quote from: "Mojo"I remember one fella said he took a 80ish chevy truck, and removed the whole front crossmember, suspension and all.

The design is essentially the same '63 to '87 and I've been told with a little work you should be able to use a newer IFS on pretty much any of the older trucks.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Glen

Its a lot easier than that guys.  Everyone makes a conversion kit now.

The tie rod is a different size than the 73-87 spindles, but the conversion kits come with a 73-87 spindles, brakes, etc. but they made the tie rod dimension the same as the 67-72's so you dont have to change out all that other stuff.

Drop spindles are plentiful as well.

I read this board for 67-72 there are tons of vendors, Ricks pickup parts is here in Mesa and well respected.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php3?s=6493156f8c008ff2d3bc009812fbaa2b&forumid=3

I now have 4 wheel power disc brakes:  

47convert

I replaced the completely worn out front end on my '66 with everything from a 1979 1/2 ton. I didn't change the whole crossmember, just the control arms, brakes etc and used Bell Tech spindles to drop it. The only thing that didn't bolt right in was the idler arm and it required redrilling one hole in the frame. I switched the rear end over to 5 bolt by bolting in a '71 rear end, but used the 66 backing plates and shoes. Didn't even need to bleed the brakes.