Some Times You Just Have To Go Back To Basics.

Started by enjenjo, December 04, 2006, 01:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

On this 48 Woody, I have a no charge condition on the generator. I found the field coil was shorted to ground, so I sent it out to be rebuilt. I reinstalled the generator, still no charge. Checked the wiring and regulator, both are working as they should. So I rechecked the generator, and it's fine, just not charging. At this point, I am at a loss, every thing functions as it should, just no output. After thinking about it, and a discussion with a buddy, I checked the part number on the regulator, it was a 6 volt regulator, rather than the 12 volt needed. The owner replaced the regulator, and installed the wrong one. :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

donsrods

Yep, sometimes we overlook the obvious.  One time I pulled into a 7-11 and as I hit the high beams to see better, all four lights went out.  I just knew it had to be the dimmer, so I pulled up the carpet, replaced the dimmer switch, and found out all the lights were still out.  Turns out all four bulbs actually went at the same time.  Never would have thought that in a million years.

Don

WZ JUNK

This makes me think of the time I had a miss in a 4 cylinder engine.  I found the cylinder and I bought a installed a new set of plugs.  Still had a miss on that cylinder.  I changed out everything points, wires, rotor cap...and it still had the miss.  It was the new plug that I had just replace.  What were the odds of getting a new plug that was bad and putting into the same cylinder on the motor that the old bad plug was in/  My luck I guess.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

the simple sh*t  can get you every time if ya aint careful.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Can't  you suggest he get a solor panel disquised as a surf board and use it to power a trickle charger to keep the battery up ? There's really no gentle way to tell a customer that he shouldn't work on his own stuff. GPster