heel pain

Started by Learpilot, December 01, 2006, 11:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

I know this is a forum about cars, but I would like to hear from anybody that has had this. I started having heel pain after putting the Mustang II front end in my 36 Dodge. I know that spending a lot time on the garage floor is the problem, but I am not going to give up my Hobby to a PAIN.
Thanks in advance !!!
Rick Harris

Okiedokie

Rick, I had a similiar probably a while ago. Most of the pain was when I first got up in the am. went to orthopedic guy who spent a lot of insurance money, sold me an expensive deal to wear at nite, gave me pain pills and talked surgery. After I got real tired of the "boot" to wear at night with no results, and convinced myself I was not ready for the knife, I just delt with it. Then I went to my regular doctor I go to for everyday stuff for something else and mentioned my problem with my heel. He showed me an excersize to do, that I still do, and no more heel pain. Every morning I do ten reps of standing on my toes as high as I can and then ten reps rolling back on my heels and stretching toes as high as I can.  As silly as that sounds, it has eliminated the heel pain. Now I can squat down, or kneel down with no pain. My two cents. Good luck. Joe

Learpilot

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"Rick, I had a similiar probably a while ago. Most of the pain was when I first got up in the am. went to orthopedic guy who spent a lot of insurance money, sold me an expensive deal to wear at nite, gave me pain pills and talked surgery. After I got real tired of the "boot" to wear at night with no results, and convinced myself I was not ready for the knife, I just delt with it. Then I went to my regular doctor I go to for everyday stuff for something else and mentioned my problem with my heel. He showed me an excersize to do, that I still do, and no more heel pain. Every morning I do ten reps of standing on my toes as high as I can and then ten reps rolling back on my heels and stretching toes as high as I can.  As silly as that sounds, it has eliminated the heel pain. Now I can squat down, or kneel down with no pain. My two cents. Good luck. Joe
I will try the excersize.  
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO !!!  
Rick Harris

jaybee

My wife has been experiencing something similar this Fall.  Apparently she spends too much time with her toes pointed while sitting and her Achilles tendons have begun to shorten, which shows as heel pain because that's where they attach.  The Doc gave her some stretching excercises and some arch supports to put in her shoes, it seems to be helping.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

BFS57

Hello;
I had a similar experience due to Heal "Spurs" This was quite a long time ago and I don't remember exactly how I cured it but I think it had to do with some taking of over the counter herbs! Also, If you are having real bad pain, the accupunctur (sp) DR is the first thing I would go to.

Bruce

purplepickup

I had bad heel pain a couple years ago and an x-ray showed some bone spurs on both feet.  I didn't have a choice but to have surgery on my right foot because the spur was on the back of my heel and bleeding when it rubbed on my shoes and socks.  It was an inch long and very obvious.  They had to detach my achilles tendon, chisel off the spur, then reattach the tendon.  It took a while to heal but for me it was worth it.

The ones on my left heel are on the bottom and shaped like hooks.  They look about 3/4" long on the x-ray but don't hurt too bad so I'm not having them taken off for now.  I did get some over the counter type orthotic shoe inserts that support my arch and have a silicone insert under my heel.  The pain is almost gone.  The concrete floor in my shop used to bother me but doesn't anymore.

I don't scrimp on shoes anymore either.  It's worth paying a little extra for shoes that fit right and support your feet.  Not only does it help your feet, it also helps other pains like knees and back.

It's a bummer getting older isn't it? :wink:
George

entodad

Quote from: "Learpilot"I know this is a forum about cars, but I would like to hear from anybody that has had this. I started having heel pain after putting the Mustang II front end in my 36 Dodge. I know that spending a lot time on the garage floor is the problem, but I am not going to give up my Hobby to a PAIN.
Thanks in advance !!!
Rick Harris

I would guess that you have "Plantar Fasciitis" which is an inflamed ligament between your heel and front of your foot...very painful and stays with you forever it seems...
anti-inflamatories such as asprin, ibuprofen can help.  steroid injections may help as well, but require a doctor.  Rest, ice, stretching are common tactics as well.
My heels hurt frequently, but it is not spurs or plantar faciatis, but rater the achilles tendon is inflamed where it attaches to the heel...probably due to my insistance on playing basketball 3-4 times every week...

Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

48ford

I got some "gel" insoles,they helped a lot!
and if it works it's a cheap fix.
Russ

Crosley.In.AZ

I used a little donut shaped thing in my shoe for heal pain for about 8-10 months.

My heel pain went away.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Normspeed

Quote from: "BFS57"I don't remember exactly how I cured it but I think it had to do with some taking of over the counter herbs!  
Bruce

I tried over the counter herbs as well but in CA that can get kinda trippy I mean tricky.   8)  

Really though I had heel pain bad for months and it's completely gone now.  Pamper your feet.  I had to toss out my favorite old deck shoes and anything else with a thin rubber or leather sole.  Toss out any footwear that gives you noticeable pain after wearing.  Go for really comfortable shoes with thick foam type soles.  Also you can do a stretching thing by sitting on a chair or the bed, looping a towel under the front of your foot and pulling back while you try to move the toes toward you.

If you take all the advice you're getting you'll look like a victim of a game of twister gone wrong.  Keep the vidcam handy.

Dave

The ones on my left heel are on the bottom and shaped like hooks.  They look about 3/4" long on the x-ray but don't hurt too bad so I'm not having them taken off for now.

So can you hang upside down specially around holloween :lol:
Dave

purplepickup

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Quote from: "purplepickup"The ones on my left heel are on the bottom and shaped like hooks.  They look about 3/4" long on the x-ray but don't hurt too bad so I'm not having them taken off for now.
So can you hang upside down specially around holloween :lol:
Dave
Why, ya wanna party? ~:)
George

BFS57

Hello, Again;
Now I remember how it got better, First take any old shoes you have that are flat inside and toss them. Next get yourself a really good shoe like Knapp or anything with a high arch in it, I also remember taking Vinegar Pills, it helps to break up the formations. Also ate a lot of salad with vinegar on it. Also, make sure that you get rid of any callus, you may have. Try standing on rubber cushion not on hard cement.
I think thats about that!
Bruce