My current project

Started by OldSub, November 29, 2006, 11:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSub

I guess this is my response to "OK ENUFF".

This is where most my project energy has gone for the past year.  With the precipitation and frigid temperatures the project is stalled right now.  This is what it has looked like for the past five days.

The contractor seems to think snow and temps in the 20's are reasons to stay home.

If you want to know more this project I have a web site dedicated to it:  www.MaxwellGarage.com.  Mostly you'll see more pictures and read about the delays that have turned a six week project into more than a year.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

enjenjo

I looked at your web page, you are staying busy.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

"The contractor seems to think snow and temps in the 20's are reasons to stay home"......Those are EXCELLENT reasons to stay home......Unfortunately,I didn't  :(  No snow for us today but the wind was 30mph +,It was in the single digits and we whacked a 5X5, 300lb whitetail on the way home at 8PM this evening after a 12hr day in the cold.......I wish I was as smart as your guy and had stayed home!Good luck with your project!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

OldSub

Quote from: "40"whacked a 5X5, 300lb whitetail on the way home at 8PM this evening after a 12hr day in the cold.......I wish I was as smart as your guy and had stayed home!Good luck with your project!
Is hunting season still open?

I stayed home yesterday partly because of weather.  If the expected storm comes tonight I'll stay home tomorrow too.

Steve@OldSub.com

Dave

Quote from: "40""The contractor seems to think snow and temps in the 20's are reasons to stay home"......Those are EXCELLENT reasons to stay home......Unfortunately,I didn't  :(  No snow for us today but the wind was 30mph +,It was in the single digits and we whacked a 5X5, 300lb whitetail on the way home at 8PM this evening after a 12hr day in the cold.......I wish I was as smart as your guy and had stayed home!Good luck with your project!

That sucks...
Dave

Dave

Im thinking i should have worked on an addition for my garage instead of starting this roadster project. Oh well. After its done and sold im gonna do the garage thing. Looks like your staying busy. ill have to check your web page.
dave :arrow:

phat rat

Quote from: "OldSub"
Quote from: "40"whacked a 5X5, 300lb whitetail on the way home at 8PM this evening after a 12hr day in the cold.......I wish I was as smart as your guy and had stayed home!Good luck with your project!
Is hunting season still open?

I stayed home yesterday partly because of weather.  If the expected storm comes tonight I'll stay home tomorrow too.

I think he meant he got it with his truck not a rifle
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

slocrow

The garage/shop looks good. Interesting layout. What's your thinking? Funny line here, "Among other things I learned that his girlfriend would like proof he works while gone all day." ....Good luck, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

OldSub

Quote from: "slocrow"The garage/shop looks good. Interesting layout. What's your thinking?  ....Good luck, Frank

Resale.  Shops aren't real common around here, but RVs are.  I think a double garage with an attached RV stall will sell better than a 3-bay shop.  It certainly looks more at home in this neighborhood.  My long-term plans include a move that could happen anytime in the next ten years.

I don't plan to have more than one long-term project inside at any one time.  That project will sit in the middle stall, while the long tall stall is available for short-term projects.

My projects are all trucks.  The first one I plan to move into the shop is a '54 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup, but my project list includes some stuff that won't fit through an eight-foot door and won't park in 20 feet.  One of my projects is going to be 22 to 24 feet long, and stand nearly 10 feet tall.  

I suspect I'll wish that 14 x 36 x 14 was bigger in every direction when that project moves inside, but I had to keep the cost under control and bigger wasn't really an option.

I've described these projects in some detail on my web site.  I suspect Enjenjo read that list and decided I had plenty to do.

Steve@OldSub.com

Dave

Quote from: "OldSub"
Quote from: "slocrow"The garage/shop looks good. Interesting layout. What's your thinking?  ....Good luck, Frank

Resale.  Shops aren't real common around here, but RVs are.  I think a double garage with an attached RV stall will sell better than a 3-bay shop.  It certainly looks more at home in this neighborhood.  My long-term plans include a move that could happen anytime in the next ten years.

I don't plan to have more than one long-term project inside at any one time.  That project will sit in the middle stall, while the long tall stall is available for short-term projects.

My projects are all trucks.  The first one I plan to move into the shop is a '54 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup, but my project list includes some stuff that won't fit through an eight-foot door and won't park in 20 feet.  One of my projects is going to be 22 to 24 feet long, and stand nearly 10 feet tall.  

I suspect I'll wish that 14 x 36 x 14 was bigger in every direction when that project moves inside, but I had to keep the cost under control and bigger wasn't really an option.

I've described these projects in some detail on my web site.  I suspect Enjenjo read that list and decided I had plenty to do.

Now ya got me on that one. Id have thought with the single stall and a high bay that thats where the hoist was gonna go (ya see i think different than frank he has a hoist that goes 4ft up) I guess I was wrong. I know they sell covers for motorhomes as well as tarps so why the hell would one want a dedicated bay for it :?:  I can see why but then again its in my mind a waste of money but im not up there where your at. Hell ya.. if you add the motorcoach (see i know big words too) storage and then when you sell you make a killing then........ I see said the blind man.
Anyway. looks good!
I wanted to make another trip out there but the stepdaughter moved to utah so now ill prolly have to go to bonivlle instead :cry:
Dave :!:  :arrow:  :arrow:

slocrow

Quote from: "jusjunk"(ya see i think different than frank he has a hoist that goes 4ft up) Dave
Dave. Most call it a lift and it goes up 6 feet..................VetteBoy
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

phat rat

looks as though you need more garage Frank. I think I can see a car or 2 in there.
:lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

OldSub

Quote from: "jusjunk"Now ya got me on that one. Id have thought with the single stall and a high bay that thats where the hoist was gonna go

The last round of budget cuts took the hoist out of my shop.  Or at least its not going to fit under the tree this year.  

When that wondrous day arrives that I can buy a hoist it will go in the tall stall.  But then the logic stays the same.  The long-term project won't live on the hoist.  That stall will remain available for short-term stuff.

Steve@OldSub.com

The suicidal deer was "whacked'' with an employee's pickup....NOT my rifle.....I was just riding home.We almost always drive one of my trucks but he had an errand to run.....That should teach him to take time off from work  :P  Hit him hard ....about the last 3rd of his body....spun him around and he and I met eyeball to eyeball looking out the passenger window.Ripped the right front corner of the truck up pretty good but nothing a big hammer and some duct tape won't fix if I know this guy!We were in Iowa....their shotgun season opens this weekend,I believe......someone's going to miss shooting a pretty nice wallhanger because of us  :lol:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

OldSub

Well the construction crew decided today it was warm enough to come back and do some more work.  They got quite a bit done, but also discovered they don't have all the materials they are supposed to.

So the materials will be delivered Tuesday and they won't be back until Wednesday of next week.

I'm amazed at how long this is taking.  I signed the contract in November of 2005 and they have found one delay after another for a whole year now.  I can't believe contractors can stay in business this way.

Steve@OldSub.com