Anybody know about VW Passats?

Started by 48builder, November 28, 2006, 07:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

My daughter's '99 Passat is at my house while she is at school. I moved it to the end of the driveway the other day. I went out yesterday to move it back, and it won't start. It turns over, but doesn't fire at all. The gas gauge reads completely empty, so I thought maybe it was simply out of gas. I put a gallon in and same thing.

I ship out to Iraq in a couple days and want to figure out what's wrong before I leave. I'm going to try getting home in the daylight tomorrow so I can see what I am doing, but any likely places to start would be welcome. I'm thinking maybe fuel pump fuse?

Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Bruce Dorsi

It's possible that it's still too low on gas, Walt.  ...The one gallon you added may not be enough to fill the reservoir around the pump pick-up.

We wish you a safe tour over there, and hope that you and your family will have Happy Holidays, even though you will not be together!

Give our regards to Shawn! ...We know she'll be worrying about you!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

purplepickup

I don't know much about Passats but I want to wish you all the best during your time in Iraq.   If you get a chance to log in from over there, keep in touch.
George

donsrods

I agree that you are still probably out of gas. Put more in and then shoot some starting fluid into the engine. It may take some revolutions to reprime it.

Don

PS:  Wish you the best overseas, too.

flt-blk

Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Normspeed

You probly solved it by now, more gas.   Stay safe over there.