Might have another deal going.

Started by Dave, November 22, 2006, 11:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Im glad im on vacation. Found a 350 chevrolet bout an 85 with a turbo 350 . The guy says doumented 14000 miles. Was a litle old ladys car. Got wrecked. I can go hear the engine run and if i like it 400 bucks and he will pull it while i wait :!: I suppose ill help :wink:  Im thinking this may be a good engine for the roadster... I told the guy id get with him friday and ill possibly go listen to it friday or saturday and prolly bring er home if it sounds ok. Heck a little cleaning and removing the junk i dont need and a couple cans of engine paint or maybe do it car color .. The only problem is its on the other side of detroit but a deal is a deal..  If its what he says it is I can recoupe my cash outlay by selling the trans..
Dave :arrow:  :!:  :arrow:

Dave

I got thinking and called the guy back and set it up for friday. I cant pass this up if its as good as it sounds. He is gonna scrap the car so im gonna try and get the drive shaft too.  
Dave :arrow:  :-}  );b(  :ha)

GPster

Is it a carburated or computor controled fuel injected motor? Not saying that won't be a decent deal but buying an intake, carb, and standard HEI distributor might add to the price of changing it. Also it's going to have the long water pump and accompaning pulleys. What year did they change theangle of the intae manifold bolts and rear crankshft seals? If it's too late then used early model parts won't work. GPster

EMSjunkie

is 85 the first year they used the one-piece rear main seal?

what about head interchangeability?
can you put early style heads on that block?

sounds like a good deal, but then again, so did the Titanic  :shock:

hope it turns out to be a great deal for ya Bro  8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"Is it a carburated or computor controled fuel injected motor? Not saying that won't be a decent deal but buying an intake, carb, and standard HEI distributor might add to the price of changing it. Also it's going to have the long water pump and accompaning pulleys. What year did they change theangle of the intae manifold bolts and rear crankshft seals? If it's too late then used early model parts won't work. GPster

He says its carburated Joe thats why im going to look.  Even a right handed dipstick tbi engine is ok . They can be changed. He didnt know the year for sure but ill go look and ive got my vaccum gauge laying out ready to go. Ill take a check and see how it is . He is sur3e its a turbo 350 behind it. Hell its worth the drive. I need and engine so i need to investigate this. Even if its a newer 1 pc seal motor if its really 14000 miles and its carburated ill take it.
Dave

kb426

Sounds very useable. Run, wear out, replace. Sounds simple.
TEAM SMART

GPster

If the Chevrolet dynasty mad similar changes in '85 to their V8s like they did to their 4.3 liter V6s maybe that thing would have a throttle body injector that bolts on an intake like a quadrajet and it would have the early style crank seals and intake. You can always hope. GPster

junkyardjeff

What is it in as I worked in a chevy dealer from 83 to 86 and about every RWD car and half ton truck or van had a 305 in it,it was the 3/4 ton and up trucks,vans and police cars that had the 350s.  It seemed GM was stingy on the 350s back then unless it was special ordered and I doubt a little old lady had a Z28,corvette or 3/4 ton or larger truck.  Jeff

timkins

I keep seeing posts regarding the "1 piece rear main seal". Is this good or bad? If its bad, why is it bad??????

Bib_Overalls

In MHO the 1 piece rear main seal is an improvement.  If it leaks you can change it without dropping the pan.  

No matter what the man says, I'd suspect a 305.  Still a good motor and more than enough to push a roadster down the road in style.  Go to the MORTEC site and print off the block casting numbers.  Take them with you and make a positive ID.  If it is a 305 see if you can get him to come off the price a bit.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Dave

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"What is it in as I worked in a chevy dealer from 83 to 86 and about every RWD car and half ton truck or van had a 305 in it,it was the 3/4 ton and up trucks,vans and police cars that had the 350s.  It seemed GM was stingy on the 350s back then unless it was special ordered and I doubt a little old lady had a Z28,corvette or 3/4 ton or larger truck.  Jeff

Well even a 305 with 14k actual would be ok. Im building this to sell but i do want a reliable engine. this car is light enuff that a 305 should push it pretty good. Hey for 400 bucks with the tranny setting on my pickup i gotta go look.
Dave :arrow:

ps: I just did some searching on the net and it could be either a 305 or a 350.. also the trans could be a 350 or 700 r.

Bib_Overalls

An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

47 ragtop

The 1 piece rear seal and non tuned port {throttlebody}fuel injection started in 1987. Also this engines all had center bolt valve covers. Many of these engines had 305 or 350 cast on the side of the block but is not always visible when still in the vehicle. I agree nothing but 3/4 tons,vettes, Z28s and police cars had 350s during the 80s before 1987. Also some 305s and 350s have the same code on the front pad -- but not in the same year   !!  You have to also look at the date code on the back of the block to tell for sure what year you have and match that to the code on the front pad. The 305s make good engines for light weight cars and run cool ask the demo derby boys about that. However watch out for soft camshafts in the mid 80 305s.  47 ragtop

tomslik

86 was the 1st year for 305/1 piece RM seals.
as far as 1 piece vs 2 piece RM seal, i like 1 .... but either is fine with me.
it's usually the pan gasket that leaks anyway....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Dave

Quote from: "tomslik"86 was the 1st year for 305/1 piece RM seals.
as far as 1 piece vs 2 piece RM seal, i like 1 .... but either is fine with me.
it's usually the pan gasket that leaks anyway....

Thanks for that info.. The only thing i got to say bout 1pc and 3 pc is ya gotta pull the trans for a 1 piece dont ya? Ive seen a lotta leakey rear seals . I think thats where mine leaks on the coupe and it shouldnt. I will check the pan when i get it out in the spring. Thats a posability after i drove it off the curb in indy. The problem was the sun was in my eyes and i (really guys) was sober.
Dave  :arrow: