Off with the old.....on with the new

Started by EMSjunkie, November 12, 2006, 08:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMSjunkie

I got myself one of them Road Demon carbs the other day 8)
got 'er shipped right to my door and everything :wink:

looks pretty good. 8)

had to get a 1" spacer to clear the vacuum elbow at the rear of the manifold, then, I tried to hook up the fuel line......was supposed to include the fittings and stainless steel fuel line.........fuel line was there.......but no fittings on the float bowl to attach the fuel line to :x  :x

two hours......and several blood pressure spikes later.......still no fittings :evil:  unable to obtain them locally :roll:

could not find a 3/8" inverted flare fitting.......anywhere.......even Home Depot, AutoZone, O'reillys, Advanced Auto Parts......nobody has them :(

so I guess I'll have to wait until the REAL parts stores open up Monday.
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

purplepickup

Looks good Vance.  It's always nice to get yourself a little something now and then.  :wink:

By the way, it looks like you've only got one throttle return spring but I can't see the picture real good.  If you do, it's cheap insurance to put two on.  They come in a set with one fitting inside another.  I had a '57 Chevy with two fours on it break the single spring at WOT while street racing.  I was power shifting and didn't know it broke until I needed to let off on it.  Yeehaw! :shock:  :shock:   Lucky there was lots of open road in front of me.
George

Learpilot

What is the CFM ? Mine is the 625 cfm. Perfect for my 350 except the primaries had 70 jets and I went down to 68(the same jets as Holley). It seem to me to run better and better gas milage. It runs smooth all the time. Love it !!!
Enjoy your new carb !!! LOOKS GREAT TOOOO !
Rick Harris

rumrumm

Before you run it, take off the bowls and check for metal shavings in the bowls and metering blocks. Demon carburetors are notorious for this problem. It may save you a lot of grief later on.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Dave

Hey im gonna need a carb for the new engine for the roadster how bout i give you 20 bucks for that holley? I really dont care for holleys but its gonna be a seller so who cares. :wink:
Dave
ps: lemme know how that demon works out. I actually heat the edelbrock I got on the coupe and ive had it apart a dozen times and its still junk :cry:

purplepickup

Quote from: "jusjunk"....how bout i give you 20 bucks for that holley? ..
Dave
ps: lemme know how that demon works out. I actually hate the edelbrock I got on the coupe and ive had it apart a dozen times and its still junk :cry:
I'll give you 20 bucks for that Edelbrock :D
George

EMSjunkie

Thanks guys 8)  8)

its a 625 CFM Road Demon.

Lynn, I remember from my earlier post when I was thinking about
getting it, that you said to look for shavings. :shock:

after I got done lookin' it over, I popped the bowls and found them
to be really clean. I went ahead a blew air thru the bleed holes, just to be safe. :)

I was wondering about the jets.........70's sound a little big to me :?

Just an F.Y.I.    the float bowl fittings are 9/16"X24.........unobtainable :x
even Barry Grant doesn't show a part number for them :roll:

but the Dude at tech support was real helpful, just had to fax a copy of the invoice, and he is supposed to mail them right out.........We'll see. :oops:

yes George, it has dual return springs, I learned that lesson on a sprint car :shock:
may need to find another place to mount them, they are stretched pretty tight

I'll update once I get it running :-o

Vance

p.s.  Dave, if you are serious about the Holley, PM me :)
p.p.s  Guess nobody noticed the new chrome a/c compressor :lol:
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

that sure is a purty Blue color on the car
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

junkyardjeff

I will go 25 dollars for that holley and might throw in some beer too.  Jeff

Fat Cat

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I will go 25 dollars for that holley and might throw in some beer too.  Jeff

Jeff you'll have to do better than that. Vance's sheep don't drink beer any more! :)

junkyardjeff

30 dollars and a steak dinner,thats all I can do for now as the doctor bills are comming in and I still have the surgery to go through this week.  Seriously I would like to have it but since someone spoke up before me so I have to watch my money for now and use the AFB I have instead.  Jeff

Fat Cat

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"30 dollars and a steak dinner, Jeff

You expect sheep to eat steak? That's just sick! ~:)

Dave

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I will go 25 dollars for that holley and might throw in some beer too.  Jeff

im out ... if i buy beer im drinking it..
next bidder please
dave

Dusty

Hey Vance...I been runnin the Street Demon on my Roadster and Coupe engines, for several years...When we Dyno'd the engine in the Roadster (350 Chevy), It actually turned more HP with the 550, than the 650 version, so I used the 550 on the coupe too.  Seems like street rodders tend to over carb and over cam their engines....I wanted to put a 750 on the roadster till my dyno man convinced me otherwise.  On the flow bench, it actually flowed 590CFM...Good luck with the swap....That sure is Blue paint......
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

Dave

Quote from: "Dusty"Hey Vance...I been runnin the Street Demon on my Roadster and Coupe engines, for several years...When we Dyno'd the engine in the Roadster (350 Chevy), It actually turned more HP with the 550, than the 650 version, so I used the 550 on the coupe too.  Seems like street rodders tend to over carb and over cam their engines....I wanted to put a 750 on the roadster till my dyno man convinced me otherwise.  On the flow bench, it actually flowed 590CFM...Good luck with the swap....That sure is Blue paint......

:lol:  :lol:
Ive always felt the same way bout over carburation. I still think the bext milage makers out there are the QJets but they have such small primaries they really get good mileage.  Then when ya stand on em if the secondaries are working properly then your gettin er done..
Dave