39 Lincoln brakes ( after market)

Started by Topsterguy, October 26, 2006, 04:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Hi All!   I've been looking at changing the disc brakes that are in my roadster to a set of the aftermarket 39 Lincoln ones. There are two places that put out new ones for about the same price  - $400 for the complete brakes and backing plates ( no drums) - ones MT Car Products and the other is Riley Automotive.  Anyone know of these guys or heard anything about them?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

donsrods

Check out Wilson Welding. Just bought their backing plate setup and hubs. Really nice stuff.

Don

Bib_Overalls

I bought the brakes for my T project from Eric at Riley Automotive.

He is a Wilson Welding dealer.  His prices are about as good as you can get - better than ordering direct.

I bought fronts and rears and he threw in a super Tee shirt.

Tell him Bib Overalls recommended him highly.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Uncle Bob

Also check out shoe width depending on which drums you will use.  If going Buick, 2" , if Ford 1 3/4", although the narrower will work in the Buick naturally, just not taking full advantage.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Topsterguy

Again, thanks folks!  I'll probably go with the Riley ones, with the scoops. I figure I'll probably get the drums too, so everything works!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

donsrods

I checked out that website, looks like he has some nice stuff, and the prices look fair too.

Don

GPster

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Again, thanks folks!  I'll probably go with the Riley ones, with the scoops. I figure I'll probably get the drums too, so everything works!
What are you going to use for wheels?If you get too tight you might be having trouble with heat retention. There was a reason that they made finned drums and put air scoops on the backing plate but that was before 15" x 8" wheels. I like the look but I don't like brake fade. GPster

Topsterguy

Well apparently to use his pieces ( and probably the others too) you need to go to the big bolt pattern ( 5x5 1/2) cuz the hubs are that, and I don't really want to get into new wheels and tires etc., so the discs aren't looking that bad now! :?

Bib_Overalls

If you are going to run Buick drums now or in the future you will need the 46-48 hubs that mount on the outside of the drums.  Or the Wilson repops.  He makes them in three different bolt patterns.

If you don't have the Buick drums you can use repop 46-48 drums drilled to the pattern of your choice.

As noted, Buick drums use 2" wide shoes.  Ford drums use 1.75" wide shoes.

http://www.wilsonweldingandmachine.com/

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Well apparently to use his pieces ( and probably the others too) you need to go to the big bolt pattern ( 5x5 1/2) cuz the hubs are that, and I don't really want to get into new wheels and tires etc., so the discs aren't looking that bad now! :?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

GPster

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Well apparently to use his pieces ( and probably the others too) you need to go to the big bolt pattern ( 5x5 1/2) cuz the hubs are that, and I don't really want to get into new wheels and tires etc., so the discs aren't looking that bad now! :?
If you have in the back of your mind going to '35 Ford 16" wire wheels evenr through they are 5 1/2" x 5 those wheels require a step in the hub surface of the drum to fit properly. Buick Drums don't have that step and will need about 1 1/2" spacer so that the lugs will fit. There may be a trick now but that's what I found out in '76. GPster