Waking up a 25 year sleeper

Started by 40 Chev Coupe, October 26, 2006, 10:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

40 Chev Coupe

My new find is a 1968 GTO that I bought off a friend . He was the original owner of the car, and has had it stored in a barn for the last 25 years.
Here is a brief description of the car.  1968 GTO convertible, engine is a WS code, 400 HO, it has a 4 speed code 8 (M-21). The car is in pretty good shape, no apparent rust to be seen, (but who knows what will be found).
Now my problem is waking up this new project. Looking for the best way to do this. I have done several already, but maybe someone out there has a better way.
So, any help will be appreciated.

Dave

pull the plugs and maybe a little shot of oil in each cylinder for the night. Roll it over with the fuel line disconnected. prolly should drop the tank and have a look see... Add good gas change the oil and coolant and fire er up.
Dave

jaybee

I'd do it just like Jusjunk said and throw in a fresh set of points as well.  And a visual inspection for rotted hoses, cracked wires and such.  Congratulations, that's a great find!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

58 Yeoman

Check the thermostat.  A few years ago, I bought a 76 Buick that had been sitting for a few years.  Thermostat stuck closed.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

I've got a better idea....I don't think you should mess with it at all....Just give me a call and I'll come take it off your hands! It would look nice sitting next to my old 68 Furburd! By the way....I have the same driveline combo.....really,really fun ride!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

donsrods

Fuel is going to be like syrup, even if he stabilized it. As mentioned, tank needs to be dropped and probably boiled out and maybe lined (rust). The carb will be plugged for sure, and probably need a soak and rebuild.  Try turning it over with a wrench on the crank pulley before trying the starter, and liberally oil each cylinder.

If the thing turns over freely, I would try starting it with a small outboard fuel tank hooked to the pump, eliminating the stock tank for a while.

Don

40 Chev Coupe

I'm going to rebuild the engine and components anyway, but would kinda like to hear it run first. I talked to the previous owner and he says the 34,362.4 milage is correct.
Mouse nest in the air cleaner so I'm going to have to replace the carb before I do anything.
Will keep you posted.