OT anti lock brakes help

Started by moose, October 15, 2006, 07:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Help oh smart ones,

I have a 98 GMC Serria 1500 with 4 wheel anti lock brakes. The last week the anti lock is coming on almost every stop. Any good sites to help me correct this issue? I have seen articles that point to corrosion of the sensors but how sdo I repair it? Thanks

Tim

Dave

Quote from: "moose"Help oh smart ones,

I have a 98 GMC Serria 1500 with 4 wheel anti lock brakes. The last week the anti lock is coming on almost every stop. Any good sites to help me correct this issue? I have seen articles that point to corrosion of the sensors but how sdo I repair it? Thanks

Tim

One thing to look at tim is a bad bearing. that will make the light come on. The only problem is you gotta figure out which bearing or do em both if its disk front drum rear> I had this problem on my malibu but its front wheel drive. There is a way also to check the ohms on the wheel sensors. By all means get a book on your truck.
Dave

moose

Quote from: "N8DC"

One thing to look at tim is a bad bearing. that will make the light come on. The only problem is you gotta figure out which bearing or do em both if its disk front drum rear> I had this problem on my malibu but its front wheel drive. There is a way also to check the ohms on the wheel sensors. By all means get a book on your truck.
Dave

The light is not coming on but the anti lock pulses the peddle on stoping. What book is good now days?

Tim

enjenjo

Tim, if you can get one, it's hard to beat the factory service manual. It is well worth what they cost. Most common problem is corroded or broken  wires, giving the computer spurious signals. Wheel bearings or bad tires can also create bad signals.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

oiler

The most common cause of this is a wheel speed sensor dropping out at low speeds
checking them with a ohmmeter likely won't help you.
You need a quality tech with a quality scanner to do a slow speed stop with your truck and get a snapshot on the scanner.
he can then plot a graph on the scanner or on the computer in the dealership (thats what I do)
the suspect sensor will shop up very quickly on a graph.
you'll see a gradual decline in the graph and then at 3-4 mph it'll go to zero while the other 2 continue down to zero.
being that it's a truck it can only be one of the frt hub and sensor assemblies.
So if you feel lucky you can change one and try it (you've got a 50/50 shot at it) the worse that can happen is that you do the job twice.
Then only other problem I've seen cause this is one tire worn  much worse that the other ( the diameter is different and it will fool the brake module into thinking that wheel is skidding) the hub and bearing problem is much more common however.
Jeff