Track Roadster Update

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, October 12, 2006, 09:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Since Nats North I got the engine block back and reassembled the engine, made a couple new brackets, heat sinks under the carbs and changed the color combination.

It's about ready to fire up again but no hurry, so I started making a 2 piece tonneau cover for the people compartment. The right part will probably remain on the car most of the time and the left side will be used when off the road at night on trips. I pretty much have the right side done and am starting to form the left side.

Attached are some pics.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat46

Man that looks good Charlie!!!

purplepickup

Wow Charlie....that is so cool! :shock:

Is the cover aluminum?  It looks really good.
George

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "purplepickup"Wow Charlie....that is so cool! :shock:

Is the cover aluminum?  It looks really good.

Yes, it's aluminum. Interesting material to work with. I'm having fun!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Bruce Dorsi

When you took the engine apart, Charlie, were you able to learn why the cam bearing failed?  

Also, did you have success getting those Webers dialed-in?

It sure looks good in the pics!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"When you took the engine apart, Charlie, were you able to learn why the cam bearing failed?  

Also, did you have success getting those Webers dialed-in?

It sure looks good in the pics!

Bruce,

As near as we can tell it was a startup issue. When I first fired the car way back in July it went right upstairs - 4 grand or more...I couldn't look quick enough, but it sounded like that. We think that may have been the start of the bearing failure. The engine had been primed but I think the instant rpm was the eventual killer. That happened a couple times as I worked through the carb issues. At the end I had the carbs synchronized pretty well but they didn't want to make the transition from the idle circuit to mid range very well... a pretty big bog. I think that may be related to an airflow issue since the aircleaner bases are dead flat and most everything I read tells me they like a belled air horn (like the stacks that come with the carbs). I have read a couple reports of guys modeling a bell mouth from clay and then pulling fiberglass parts and attaching them to the aircleaner base and reporting no bog afterwards. I'm still mulling that over while I do other  stuff.

Bottom line, I think I lost the startup script. That won't happen again, I hope.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

donsrods

Super looking workmanship.  Just a neat looking rod all the way around.

Don

WZ JUNK

Really nice Charlie.  I hope to see it next summer.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

Great job Charlie, hope I get a ride in it someday,

Sum

Dave

"The one who dies with the most friends wins"