Compression Test

Started by timkins, October 11, 2006, 12:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

Lately I have been plagued by oil fouling on one of the plugs in a 350 CI small block. I decided to run a compression test and the results are as follows; cyl 1--115lbs, cyl 3--115 lbs, cyl 5--100 lbs, cyl 7--100 lbs,
cyl 2--100 lbs, cyl 4 110 lbs, cyl 6--90 lbs and cyl 8--110 lbs. Now the puzzling part is that cylinder 1 is the oil fouling cylinder. The rest of the plugs come out a little gray and tan. The engine is a 1978 Truck engine if I can believe the block numbers and the mileage is unknown. I am running a Edelbrock 600 carb and it is running fat as the inside of the exhaust pipes is sooty and black. To the best of my knowledge the car does not smoke as in burning oil BUT the oil fouled plug tells me something different. Should I pull the motor and rebuild it or just opt for a crate motor?

Dave

Quote from: "timkins"Lately I have been plagued by oil fouling on one of the plugs in a 350 CI small block. I decided to run a compression test and the results are as follows; cyl 1--115lbs, cyl 3--115 lbs, cyl 5--100 lbs, cyl 7--100 lbs,
cyl 2--100 lbs, cyl 4 110 lbs, cyl 6--90 lbs and cyl 8--110 lbs. Now the puzzling part is that cylinder 1 is the oil fouling cylinder. The rest of the plugs come out a little gray and tan. The engine is a 1978 Truck engine if I can believe the block numbers and the mileage is unknown. I am running a Edelbrock 600 carb and it is running fat as the inside of the exhaust pipes is sooty and black. To the best of my knowledge the car does not smoke as in burning oil BUT the oil fouled plug tells me something different. Should I pull the motor and rebuild it or just opt for a crate motor?

Thats up to you.. ive been searching mor an engine for the new roadster project and what ive found on crate motors is Jeg's is the cheapest with shipping to my work on the replacement 8.5-1 4 bolt main crate gm engine. Of course ive got to add intake carb balancer etc etc all of which you should have on your engine. Jeg's wants about 1400 and some change. Heres my feeling after running 2 of these. I think its cheaper in the long run than paying for hot tanking head work boring honing etc etc. also they run really cool cause there really clean in the water jacket and they are stock bore which means no thinning of the bores. I like em..
Dave :!:  :arrow:

donsrods

Goodwrench crate engines are the best deal going, dollar for dollar. If you are installing it into a similarly engined car you get a 3 year warranty, too.

Don

Bruce Dorsi

I'd bet money that replacing the valve stem seals will eliminate that plug fouling.

Those seals get brittle from age and heat, and will allow alot of oil into the valve guides.

If you don't mind spending a couple hours labor, the job can be done without removing the rockers, or even disturbing the valve adjustments!

Of course, if you WANT a new engine, well that's a different story!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "timkins"Lately I have been plagued by oil fouling on one of the plugs in a 350 CI small block. I decided to run a compression test and the results are as follows; cyl 1--115lbs, cyl 3--115 lbs, cyl 5--100 lbs, cyl 7--100 lbs,

First, since you appear to be 81 maybe it is time to hang up the keys :wink:

Second, I'll bet Bruce is right :D .

Third, if you just want a motor in there that will get you down the road and to the next rod run go with the crate motor.  If you want something that is built to meet a specific need rebuild it and I would turn it into a 383 when you do if it was me.  After all we are Hot Rodders aren't we 8) .

c ya,

Sum

BFS57

Hello;
WAIT A MINUTE! Before you go spending cash for a new motor! I had much the same problem! Changed my wires, No Good! Changed plugs, NO Good! Finally found out that my intake gasket was bad! It only fouled one plug!
But if you are wanting to put in a new motor, There's plenty of offerings!

Bruce