What's the wheelbase & track?

Started by jaybee, October 04, 2006, 05:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Is there a source someplace for wheelbase & track on stock vehicles?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Dave

Quote from: "jaybee"Is there a source someplace for wheelbase & track on stock vehicles?

Owners manual ? Should be able to find that info online too but i dont know where.. Id try a google and a yahoo search.
Dave :arrow:

Fat Cat

What are you looking at? I have some stuff here from the mid 70's through the mid 80's but nothing older or newer.

Carnut

jaybee

Quote from: "Fat Cat"What are you looking at? I have some stuff here from the mid 70's through the mid 80's but nothing older or newer.

I heard somewhere (can't remember where, could have even been here?) that the chassis and drivetrain (except for engine) on AWD Astro vans, S10s, and baby Blazers is very similar to the Typhoon and Syclone trucks.  That really intrigued me with the idea of swapping in a V8 and putting the chassis under something a little more cool.  I know that chassis swaps are usually more trouble than they're worth but there's a lot of aftermarket support for these chassis and it seems like it would be pretty tough to swap an AWD drivetrain into an earlier chassis.

Bob Paulin

I picked up the "Standard Catalog of American Cars - 1976-1999" at Barnes & Noble bookstore a number of years ago, and it has a LOT of OEM info - wheelbases, front and rear tracks, weights, options, prices, production numbers, VIN info, etc. for 1976-1999 American automobiles.

Well worth the $35.00 I paid for it whenever.

If you want to order one from your local bookstore, Amazon, or elsewhere,  the authors are: James Flammang and Ron Kowalke. (Name spelling IS correct! I triple-checked it.)

ISBN: 0-87341-755-0

Library of Congress: 88-81627

Published by:

Krause Publications
700 E. State Street
Iola, WI  54990-0001

715-445-2214

Maybe there is even an updated version.....

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

GPster

Quote from: "Fat Cat"What are you looking at? I have some stuff here from the mid 70's through the mid 80's but nothing older or newer.
How do the 108" metric frames compare to the mid '70s mid size frame on these dimensions? a guy up the strret has a '75 Buick (Cutlass Supreme style) that didn't make the demolition derby because of the transmission. Because it has already been stripped it would be a small job to get the chassis out from under it. If it's close maybe 4X4 S10 wheels would narrow it up enough to use. GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "jaybee"

I heard somewhere (can't remember where, could have even been here?) that the chassis and drivetrain (except for engine) on AWD Astro vans, S10s, and baby Blazers is very similar to the Typhoon and Syclone trucks.  That really intrigued me with the idea of swapping in a V8 and putting the chassis under something a little more cool.  I know that chassis swaps are usually more trouble than they're worth but there's a lot of aftermarket support for these chassis and it seems like it would be pretty tough to swap an AWD drivetrain into an earlier chassis.

The S10, and Blazer are sililar to the Typhoon. The Astro van isn't. The Astro has a unit body, no seperate chassis. The axle is also about 8" wider than a S10. The running gear under an Astrovan is similar to a C1500 pickup.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "enjenjo"

The S10, and Blazer are sililar to the Typhoon. The Astro van isn't. The Astro has a unit body, no seperate chassis. The axle is also about 8" wider than a S10. The running gear under an Astrovan is similar to a C1500 pickup.

Having spent much time beneath Astro/Safari Vans due to past ownership, I will state here that the Astro/Safari, while, technically a unibody, actually has a so-called "cradle" - which I would deem similar to a sub-frame - that unbolts and allows one to roll out the front suspension and engine/transmission as a unit.

I do believe lowering the cradle out from underneath is the factory-recommended way of changing the engine - but many have slid the engine out through the front.

I also know that one can roll out the cradle, bolt in a SBC, then roll the cradle back in - with the judicious use of a shoe horn, of course.

Many times - while waiting for the oil to drain - I have perused the "cradle" and wondered if it could be used as a sub-frame - albeit a wide one......

.....perhaps as a front clip for an IMCA-type Modified.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

enjenjo

I know you ae right Bob, I have owned a couple. I was just pointing out that here wasn't a seperate frame like an S10 that could be used as a frame for another body.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Thanks.  Sounds like I picked up some misinformation about the Astro van.  And to think I believe everything i read on the Internet!  :)