Sure life is good AND !!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Dave, September 25, 2006, 06:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Was out in the garage tonite while sue was shopping .. Ya see all,, we get along great her hobby is shopping and mine is hot rods. Hummm back to the  real world. Got doing sum measuring on the coupe for sum thingsi on the roadster and low and behold i see both shock mounts in the front are breaking away from the frame :?  :?  Dam i payed good money for this frame and it was all tig welded and :?:  It seems both mounts are cracking on the back side too. (I say back side in refrence to the rear of the car) Oh well i might as well just stand on the street corner and throw 100 dollar bills out for a day?  Im gonna limp by for the rest of the season but i forsee more tig welding and paint work  :(  :(  This paint aint cheap either  :!:  :arrow:  If id just painted it that DREAMY BLUE color

Dave :(D)  :(D)  :(D)

Grandadeo

I know the feeling on that shock mount problem - sort of.  But I can blame mine on the State of New Jersey's wonderful roads.  Coming south on one of our New England trips, we stopped for gas after leaving Jersey and I noticed my shock mounted headlight laying against the grille shell on the '32.  The mount on one of P&Js finest was about ripped in half.  A young guy whose dad was into rods, sent us to a muffler shop around the corner.  $20 later, it was welded back together and we headed south never to drive in NJ again.  The next year we drove around NJ to get to Boston.  Bottom line is you don't expect quality parts to break.  But I guess when you drive um, stuff happens, but it still gripes ya.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

enjenjo

Ya might check to see that the shock isn't bottoming out too. :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ohio Blue Tip

A little rain must fall :cry: , even on 32's, but the sun will come again. :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Rayvyn

Quote from: "N8DC"Was out in the garage tonite while sue was shopping .. Ya see all,, we get along great her hobby is shopping and mine is hot rods. Hummm back to the  real world. Got doing sum measuring on the coupe for sum thingsi on the roadster and low and behold i see both shock mounts in the front are breaking away from the frame :?  :?  Dam i payed good money for this frame and it was all tig welded and :?:  It seems both mounts are cracking on the back side too. (I say back side in refrence to the rear of the car) Oh well i might as well just stand on the street corner and throw 100 dollar bills out for a day?  Im gonna limp by for the rest of the season but i forsee more tig welding and paint work  :(  :(  This paint aint cheap either  :!:  :arrow:  If id just painted it that DREAMY BLUE color

Sounds like during the welding process there wasn't a whole lot of penetration...But then again you're familiar with that... :oops:  :lol:  :lol:

What would cause that to happen?
That car only has about 13 miles on it since completion, and it's never seen water... :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

(I got your back Vance, don't worry. 8) )
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Dave

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "N8DC"Was out in the garage tonite while sue was shopping .. Ya see all,, we get along great her hobby is shopping and mine is hot rods. Hummm back to the  real world. Got doing sum measuring on the coupe for sum thingsi on the roadster and low and behold i see both shock mounts in the front are breaking away from the frame :?  :?  Dam i payed good money for this frame and it was all tig welded and :?:  It seems both mounts are cracking on the back side too. (I say back side in refrence to the rear of the car) Oh well i might as well just stand on the street corner and throw 100 dollar bills out for a day?  Im gonna limp by for the rest of the season but i forsee more tig welding and paint work  :(  :(  This paint aint cheap either  :!:  :arrow:  If id just painted it that DREAMY BLUE color

Sounds like during the welding process there wasn't a whole lot of penetration...But then again you're familiar with that... :oops:  :lol:  :lol:

What would cause that to happen?
That car only has about 13 miles on it since completion, and it's never seen water... :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

(I got your back Vance, don't worry. 8) )

Actually I think ive got about 6500 miles on it. it didnt get driven much this summer (i wonder why) and no frank they arent bottoming out.. Im just going to watch it close for now and try and get it fixed in the spring. Im gonna store the coupe and the bike at my mother in laws for the winter so i can work on the roadster so i wont be working on the coupe till its get warm out again. Im sure the welds just werent good enuff. They dam sure were pretty though.. The mounts i modifed on the roadster this last weekend were welded to the sides and the top of the frame.. Looks stronger and ill bet it is.

Dave
:wink:  :arrow:

slocrow

Quote from: N8DCIm gonna store the coupe and the bike at my mother in laws for the winter so i can work on the roadster so i wont be working on the coupe till its get warm out again. Dave

a Dave, what about the COBO invitation?
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Dave

As long as ive got to paint the repair work i may use the f1 style mounts in stainless drilled thru the frame. At least thats another option. Im sure ll have to make some bungs for thru the frame to elp hold em in place to.
Dave :wink:

EMSjunkie

Dang Gramps......you kinda hard on the equipment :shock:  :oops:

can't be gettin' the ole gal airborn :wink:

Dreamy Blue would be a great color for the roadster, it brings out the natural glow in your gray hair :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Dang Gramps......you kinda hard on the equipment :shock:  :oops:

Dreamy Blue would be a great color for the roadster, it brings out the natural glow in your gray hair :lol:

Vance

Ya know its a good thing I got a sense of humor. If I didnt id fly down there and go postal on your azzzzzzzzzz.  Some day ill tell you about the guy I met on a chat channel on the internet and another guy offered to fly me to cali to beat him sensless :lol:  :lol:  That was funny. I asked him if he would pick me up at the airport and he said no  :?:
Anyway Vance your my hero... And I can take it.........
Dave
ps: watch out that bryan doesnt get jelous though

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Dang Gramps......you kinda hard on the equipment :shock:  :oops:

Vance

Ya know its a good thing I got a sense of humor. If I didnt id fly down there and go postal on your azzzzzzzzzz.  Some day ill tell you about the guy I met on a chat channel on the internet and another guy offered to fly me to cali to beat him sensless :lol:  :lol:  That was funny. I asked him if he would pick me up at the airport and he said no  :?:
Anyway Vance your my hero... And I can take it.........
Dave
ps: watch out that bryan doesnt get jelous though

I'm glad you have a sense of humor. in my line of work ya gotta have one :lol:  you guys here on the roundtable have been a source of entertainment and information since the day I joined 8)

I'm not too worried about our resident G-man, all the breaks and vacations those guys get every year, they tend to get a little "soft" :wink:

I'm pretty sure I could out run him in a short sprint :lol:

wadda ya say we just meet in Clearwater and take turns pummeling him  :idea:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****