Ok stuff knowers.

Started by Dave, September 21, 2006, 06:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: "Fat *"
Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "sirstude"What is thit?  "I'll show your mine if you show me yours"

Doug

LOL......... I was just curious. i did het on the northern tool web site and the only one i saw for 129.00 was a 1 ton. I cant remember if it folded or not.
Dave :!:  :arrow:

Sorry, I guess I failed 4th grade math.  It is a 1 ton and it does fold up.  They are pretty heavy duty for the price.
jd

Well at least your honest .. Im just stupid :!:
Ya that was the one I saw on the web site. I like mine and its a 2 ton . Ive been throwing the new 32 roadster frame all over and ive still got the axles and wheels on it. I can set it on its side or roll it over  :!:  I was gonna make iu a deal to greb the new body in the center and pick it up to move it but me and the kid just lifted it up and set it on a creeper.
Dave :!:  :idea:  :arrow:  :!:

Fat Fanny

Quote from: "Fat *"
Quote from: "sirstude"What is thit?  "I'll show your mine if you show me yours"

Doug

LOL......... I was just curious. i did het on the northern tool web site and the only one i saw for 129.00 was a 1 ton. I cant remember if it folded or not.
Dave :!:  :arrow:

Sorry, I guess I failed 4th grade math.  It is a 1 ton and it does fold up.  They are pretty heavy duty for the price.
jd

Well at least your honest .. Im just stupid :!:
Ya that was the one I saw on the web site. I like mine and its a 2 ton . Ive been throwing the new 32 roadster frame all over and ive still got the axles and wheels on it. I can set it on its side or roll it over  :!:  I was gonna make iu a deal to greb the new body in the center and pick it up to move it but me and the kid just lifted it up and set it on a creeper.
Dave :!:  :idea:  :arrow:  :!:

My big error at the rod mall was buying too small a jack.
8)

donsrods

By the way guys, along these same lines, if you ever want to make life a lot easier, build yourself one of these. I think they are called "gantry's" and they are used to lift heavy things (like car bodies, etc) easily.

Just about a year ago I was lifting the corner of my '39 body and tore a bicep, which required surgery to reattach it. My Son didn't want me to do that again, so he built this gantry on wheels, and we put two 120 volt winches on top of it. Now all we do is roll it over a car body (or whatever) and push a couple of buttons, and the gantry does all the hard work.

Usually one of us is working alone at night and has nobody to help lift heavy stuff, so this thing has been a Godsend.  Just thought I'd pass it along. Dan found ours in a dumpster, (winches were missing) and he modified it to fit the dimensions we needed.  We use this thing all the time, an each winch will lift 440 lbs.

Don

Fat Fanny

Quote from: "donsrods"By the way guys, along these same lines, if you ever want to make life a lot easier, build yourself one of these. I think they are called "gantry's" and they are used to lift heavy things (like car bodies, etc) easily.

Just about a year ago I was lifting the corner of my '39 body and tore a bicep, which required surgery to reattach it. My Son didn't want me to do that again, so he built this gantry on wheels, and we put two 120 volt winches on top of it. Now all we do is roll it over a car body (or whatever) and push a couple of buttons, and the gantry does all the hard work.

Usually one of us is working alone at night and has nobody to help lift heavy stuff, so this thing has been a Godsend.  Just thought I'd pass it along. Dan found ours in a dumpster, (winches were missing) and he modified it to fit the dimensions we needed.  We use this thing all the time, an each winch will lift 440 lbs.

Don

Looks great Don.  Can you send a diagram of that thing.  It might save some time if we could get measurements, placements of winches, etc.
:lol:

donsrods

Sure, next time I am at the shop I'll do that.  This was actually a commercial unit, and we think it was used by a tile company to lift pallets of tile. They moved out and left the parts laying in a dumpster. My kid scrounged it up for the tubing, figuring he might use it to build something someday. After I hurt my arm he started looking at it and realized what it was.

When we got it the thing was much narrower and longer. A car would not fit under it, so he cut it up and made it shorter but wider. He also reinforced the top beam, and we went to Harbor Freight and bought two 120 volt winches, rated at 440 lbs each. To mount them we put a black pipe down the center and mounted the winches to that pipe. That way we can move the winches in or out to pick up various sized loads.

He is using it as we speak, lifting the body off and onto his '29 roadster pickup, and the nice thing is he can safely do it by himself.  We have used this thing for lifting engines, bodies, frames, etc., and it really makes it a lot easier than breaking your back.

I'll shoot some pictures tomorrow and some drawings, and post them.

Don

donsrods

I just found this different angle of it.

Don

donsrods

Last week Fat * asked if I could get some dimensions etc on the gantry we sort of built for our shop.  I promised I would the next time I was over there.  Today I took some pictures and some measurements.

Ours is not the only design that would work, but it just happens to be what we have.  As I mentioned, my Son Dan found the beginnings of this in a dumpster and made it wider and shorter to fit our needs. He wanted to be able to roll a car under it, so he made it 7 feet 4 inches wide, and shortened it to 8 feet long.

We ran a pipe (I forget the diameter, but I think 1.25 inches) along the top and mounted two 120 volt winches to it, so we can slide the winches to any spot on the pipe. This way it will accomodate pretty much any body or rear axle, etc that we might want to lift. The frame is made out of 2.5 x 2.5 box tubing with a 1/4 inch wall thickness. Dan gusseted the top where the pipe goes to keep it from flexing. So far we have picked up my '39 truck cab, and Dans '29 body, plus lots of rear axles, trannys, etc. It is a real back saver.

Here are some pictures of it. I don't know how to group them into one post, so I will have to do several posts. Sorry for that.

Hope this helps someone out.

Don

donsrods

Now, here are both winches on the pipe.

donsrods

donsrods

Here is how he reinforced the joint he made to make it wider.

donsrods

donsrods

Oh, I forgot. There is one of these wheels on each of the four posts, so we can roll it to where we need it.

This thing also makes a great paint rack for hanging parts on while you spray them. We painted all of my Sons frame and suspension pieces by hanging them off of the gantry, and letting them hang there overnight til they dried.

Don

KustomLincolnLady

Quote from: "N8DC"whos got the best deal on an engine hoist (aka cherry picker) I checked H/F and they got sum good deals . Anything else around mich indiana ohio area I should look at. Im gonna use it more to hoist the new roadster body around but ill also use it to install the engine..
Dave

got ours for free at a car show, I couldn't belive they called our name. had to bring that sucker home in the truck of the lincoln, about 3 hr drive. it was either that or leave it!!!!
Debb