Steering question for you experts

Started by 348tripower, September 18, 2006, 11:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I have a 51 Bullet nose Stude with a freshly rebuilt front end. They even added disc brakes. I don't want to clip this or add a MustangII. I would like to add a rear steer rack if possible. So I am open for suggestions.
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"Is this a rear steer now?

Yes it is a rear steer.
Don
Don Colliau

GPster

Some of those Studebakers had two long tie rods and a bellcrank set-up like the '49-'54 Chevy's. The bellcrank was actuated by a drag link that was inside the frame. Is this one of those set-up or is it something like a Ford truck that has one long tie-rod from the pittman arm to the passenger spindle and the tie-rod for the drivers spindle come of a boss in the center of the other tie-rod? Or is it the common late model set-up with two shorter tie rods and an idler with an idler arm on the passenger side? Are the lower "A" arms long? I read somewhere that Studebaker frames of the "Bullet Nose era were almost the same as what they were using when they went out of business. GPster

348tripower

Quote from: "GPster"Some of those Studebakers had two long tie rods and a bellcrank set-up like the '49-'54 Chevy's. The bellcrank was actuated by a drag link that was inside the frame. Is this one of those set-up or is it something like a Ford truck that has one long tie-rod from the pittman arm to the passenger spindle and the tie-rod for the drivers spindle come of a boss in the center of the other tie-rod? Or is it the common late model set-up with two shorter tie rods and an idler with an idler arm on the passenger side? Are the lower "A" arms long? I read somewhere that Studebaker frames of the "Bullet Nose era were almost the same as what they were using when they went out of business. GPster

It is the bell crank set up.
Don
Don Colliau

GPster

Quote from: "348tripower"It is the bell crank set up.Don
My idea would be use the rack and pinion out of a Caveleer (SP?) that mount on the firewall and has the tie-rods fastening to it's center. Do away with the bellcrank and mount the rack to the frame in such a way that you can still use the long tie-rods and have them connect to the rack at the same height and position as they did to the bellcrank. Removing the drag link and the steering box with the inwadr pittman arm should leave you plent of room to grt the steering arm from the wheel to the rack. GPster

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"I agree with Joe.

I head in that direction.
Thanks Guys,
Don
Don Colliau

348tripower

Quote from: "348tripower"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I agree with Joe.

I head in that direction.
Thanks Guys,
Don

Also,
 Anybody got the dimensions for that rack? How much travel it has and how many turns lock to lock. I want to use a power unit.
Don
Don Colliau

GPster

I just listen intently to everything the MASTER suggests so I just threw it out there in case he was tired of typing. I try to keep my head from under front wheel drive hoods so someone else will have to give you years and models. When you find that out, I'd go some parts house and look at a rebuilt one. You should be able to get your dimensions off a clean one. Then the only reason to get your hands dirty would be getting a core. I don't remember the subject wording but someone recently showed pictures of his installation of one in a '50s Ford (?) product where he used one of these racks to move the center link of his 3 piece tie-rod set-up and eliminated the steering box, pittman arm and idler arm doing it. I'll watch intently your progress because the truck is still sitting in the yard and if it doesn't find a new home soon it may need a Bellcrankdectomy. GPster

32 Chevy

Yeah, That was me who posted the pictures of the cavalier rack in my 56 ford. So went to my photoshop to download the photos and discovered the pictures disappeared. Gawd I love computers...

I'm not sure how well the search feature is working but that discussion was between me and Parklane, probably last Spring.

Dave R

32 Chevy

O.K., after abut an hour searching for the pictures, i found 'em in a different file.....

GPster

Quote from: "32 Chevy"Yeah, That was me who posted the pictures of the cavalier rack in my 56 ford. So went to my photoshop to download the photos and discovered the pictures disappeared. Dave R
That's a case of my CBI. I can remember what was done and why but not know who. Thanks for solving that mistery, now I have one less for the day. GPster

348tripower

I too have ordered a Cavalier rack.  I have been in contact with a guy on the Studebaker web site that has made this conversion, so, here we go. I need to do this swap to get room for the Big Block Chevy and tripower.  I am gonna make this Stude run! Thanks for your input and the picturs.
Don
Don Colliau

jaybee

Not having a Cavalier handy, what we're looking at is the stock center link welded to a plate which in turn bolts to the Cavalier r&p?  Any dimensions available on that rack?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)