High Prices (Kruise Auction)

Started by Dave, September 03, 2006, 08:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Well sue and I rode the harley to Auburn for the auction and swapmeet yesterday and i was amazed at the high prices :!:  We saw a 57 chevy convert go on the block and it brought 101k :!:  :!:  We went thru the car coral and every thing seemed to be over priced to me. The average price ofr a 60,s chevelle seemed to be 24k and they werent spotless by no means.
Dont get me wrong there were some awful nice cars there but at an awful nice price....... Its always a fun day of lookin too........
Dave :wink:  :lol:
ps: I dropped the harley and we had to get help to lift er back up :cry: Thats 2 times now but once was in the driveway.. I gotta quit doing that but the sucker is heavy. Thak god for the crash bars cause the thing just lays on them :wink:

58 Yeoman

A friend of mine has a rare '33 Chrysler phaeton, I think 15 were built.  He went to an auction last year in OH, Cleveland I think.  It was a private auction for a really rich guy, and there was one of the 33's there; more a pile of parts arranged to resemble a car.  He figured that he could go there and buy it for around $15k, and use the parts that he didn't have.  Yeah, right.  The pile went for over $81k.

The buyer is actually going to make a car out of it.  My friend contacted the buyer, and they have swapped parts to use for making copies of the parts that they each need.  The buyer needed the entire front left fender and the trunk, for starters.  My buddy needed the windshield frame and dash, among other small items. They are having to make/have made parts at a foundry in IA.

Everyone says that there isn't money to be made in old cars, but the prices I've seen for some of the muscle cars makes me wonder.  I never had the money to buy one when they were normal, and sure don't have it now. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Dave

well ive got some cash i could spend on a project car but only if i see i can turn it over and make some money on it. The problem i see right now is the profit margin is real slim if these cars are bringing close to the asking prices :?:  The other thing im seeing is the prices seem to be way out of wack more so on muscle cars than rods. This is interesting considering the price hikes in parts and labor to build a rod. Ive got over 35k in my 32 and im not ashamed to tell anyone cause i worked a long time buying and selling cars to make this one and i in no way could do one like it for that price. So where does the for profit car lie :?:  Muscle car or hot rod :?:  Heres one for ya, In my travels to and from Indiana ive been looking at a pretty nice looking (from the road) 67 chevelle. I stopped yesterday and looked close. Black, been painted has some dents, rust poping up thru the vinyl top. Has a 396 but didnt say numbers matching. 18k said on the sign no * and dont waste my time  :!:
No wonder its been there for a month :!:  :wink:
Dave :-}

58 Yeoman

The rural mail carrier back up person that delivers mail at work, drives a '66 chevelle 2dr hardtop, and he sits on the right side.  It's not in bad shape, but I got a look at it the other day, and it's really getting rusty around the bottom edges.  The maroon paint is pretty well dead, and it sits pretty low; sagging springs?  The next time I see him, I'll ask how many miles are on it, just for fun.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

purplepickup

I went by Kruse Park at Auburn Friday on the way down to Indy.  It was an ocean of motorhomes, cars, trailers, and golf carts.  It looked like a madhouse from the highway.  There were still quite a few there tonight when I went by.
George