AOD (?) questions

Started by DRD57, August 16, 2006, 12:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

My stepson recently bought a 93 Bronco 4WD with a 5.0 and an automatic with overdrive (I assume that's an AOD but I don't know much about Fords manufactured after I was born).

It has 130,000+ miles on it and it was a really clean two owner vehicle before he got it and started modifying it. With the help of my youngest brother, he lifted it, added 35" tires, 4.57 gears, King Racing coil over shocks with custom fabbed mounts and braces, fieberglass front fenders etc.

Shortly after all these mods he started having a couple of problems. The first was the sppedo started jumping all over the place. Whenever it read over 85 mph, regardless of the actual vehicle speed, the "governor" would interrupt the fuel supply to slow it down. It wasn't long until the speedo stopped working completely but the engine runs fine now without any restrictions from the "governor".

The second problem is that it now upshifts late and hard on every gear change.

Now the questions:
Are these two problems related?
Does the sppedo problem sound like it's a fragged cable?
Do you think the tranny problem is terminal or is it just a filter/fluid/adjustment problem?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Don

Leon

Just a guess, but it sounds like the shift problem may be a result of the TV cable being removed/changed when he did the other work and it didn't get put back in the proper spot.  Adjusted too tight would give more pump pressure and later, harder shifts.  If he did the lift by adding body lifts between the frame and body, he probably is putting the TV and speedo cable under tension causing both problems.  He may need longer cables.

DRD57

No body lift but, they did move a lot of things under the hood when they installed the King coil overs. They may have put some tension on the cable.

donsrods

That TV cable is really important to the operation of the AOD.  I just took my LTD to the shop to have them install a new tranny, because mine wouldn't shift. Guy called me later and said all it was is the TV cable came loose.

It works fine now after putting a $ 7.00 part on the end of the cable.

Don

Okiedokie

Don I used an AOD in my 53F100 and discovered how important that cable adjustment is to that shift. I used a Lokar cable and found that it would not reduce enough pressure to allow proper shift. I used a gauge to set me cable [ typical oil pressure/trans pressure ] and had to add a spring to Lokar set up. I would take it to a tranny shop and have them set it with pressure gauge unless you guys have access to one. I can provide pressure numbers if you need. Joe

Crosley.In.AZ

you are telling me two things.......

1993 the bronco could be a AODE . IF the speed-O quit the computer would shift the AODE  late and stoopid.

WIth an AOD .......What I think happened is the plastic connector for the TV cable at the EFI has broken.  the tranny is now in 'default mode' and is shifting late and firm like the throttle is WOT.

check the TV connector at the tranny too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

DRD57

Quote from: "Crosley"you are telling me two things.......

1993 the bronco could be a AODE . IF the speed-O quit the computer would shift the AODE  late and stoopid.

WIth an AOD .......What I think happened is the plastic connector for the TV cable at the EFI has broken.  the tranny is now in 'default mode' and is shifting late and firm like the throttle is WOT.

check the TV connector at the tranny too.

Everyone, thanks for all the replys.

How can I tell an AODE from an AOD?

I suspected the two problems may be related.

Okiedokie

Don't believe it will have a tv cable if it is electric. Take a look at www.baumannengineering.com. Ford trans gurus.

Okiedokie

Don't know why the link won't work Don, search for the site. It is full of info.

river1

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"Don't believe it will have a tv cable if it is electric. Take a look at www.baumannengineering.com Ford trans gurus.

try it now

joe you had an extra .(dot) in it after the com

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

AODE has no TV cable to the tranny.  A large electrical connector on the shifter side of case , above the shift linkage
Tony

DRD57

Quote from: "Crosley"AODE has no TV cable to the tranny.  A large electrical connector on the shifter side of case , above the shift linkage

Further inspection confirms it's an AODE and FWIW it's a 94 model. He couldn't find a speedo cable on it so he took it to the local Ford dealer who diagnosed the problem as a speed sensor on the rear axle. Cost for diagnosis $60. Cost to replace the sensor $180. He paid the $60 and went to the local auto parts store to get a speed sensor which he installed himself.

Unfortunately, the problem persists. The speedo's still dead and it still shifts late and hard.

Anything else that could cause the speedo to croak right after changing the diff gears?

tomslik

did he replace the carrier? did the old ring gear have the reluctor for the abs?
anyway, i thought the speedo would be off the trans and not the diff....
i'll have to look..

nope, they're right. it's off the diff
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

DRD57

Quote from: "tomslik"did he replace the carrier? did the old ring gear have the reluctor for the abs?
anyway, i thought the speedo would be off the trans and not the diff....
i'll have to look..

nope, they're right. it's off the diff

dunno, he had a local 4wd shop do the gears.

Crosley.In.AZ

needs to be scanned to see if the ECM is seeing a speed-O feed from the sensor.  1994 should have that in the data stream

those speed sensors in the rear diff go bad often.

No reluctor ring on the carrier and there will be no speed-O input signal as ol tomslik says!

check connectors for corrosion
Tony