Chevy truck clutch problem

Started by entodad, August 09, 2006, 05:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

entodad

This forum has a lot of pretty sharp patrons, so let me ask about a problem I have been having over and over.

1995 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 4.3 2wd with a 5 speed.

The clutch master cylinder keeps cracking where the line to the slave cylinder attaches.  This happens about once every month like clockwork.

I'm on my 8th master cylinder....

Any ideas about the fix or why it happens or even where I could get a cast iron MC instead of those rinky dink plastic ones

Thanks in advance
Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

donsrods

VIbration in the line stressing that spot??  Something wrong with the male fitting that is spreading the female threads???

Wow, that is a weird one.  On the next master cyl change, why not change the line too.  That is the only common denominator I see in this whole thing.

Try a phone call to your local Chevy Service Dept.  If you get the right person they might say "Oh yeah, I've seen that and the reason is......."

Don

Dave

Quote from: "entodad"This forum has a lot of pretty sharp patrons, so let me ask about a problem I have been having over and over.

1995 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 4.3 2wd with a 5 speed.

The clutch master cylinder keeps cracking where the line to the slave cylinder attaches.  This happens about once every month like clockwork.

I'm on my 8th master cylinder....

Any ideas about the fix or why it happens or even where I could get a cast iron MC instead of those rinky dink plastic ones

Thanks in advance
Doug

Maybe a longer line with a couple loops in it also to knock down any virbation.
Dave

BFS57

Hello;
When I read your post, you mentioned that you had gone through 8 of these? My question is, Where have you been buying these? Maybe it's time to get one from the dealer or change the place where you are buying these. Try NAPA! Of course you can't overlook the fact that even Delco parts are made in third world countrys by less than skilled labor!
I don't know but it seems as though I would do what someone else said, change the line and try to go for a better master unit! As well as try to find out if this is a problem related to this unit thats been on going.

Just my 2 cents.
Bruce

58 Yeoman

Sounds more like a GM problem.  Have you checked to see if there are any recalls?  My '88 Chevy K1500 had the wrong brake booster on it from the factory.  I still had to pay $100 to have it changed.  Go figure.  You don't see any new gm products in my driveway.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Normspeed

You can go to alldata.com and check through the Chevy Technical Service Bulletin titles for your truck for free.

entodad

Been getting the Master from Autozone, and they have been faithfully replaceing it each month.

There are no threads to over tighten, the line fits into the boss and is held in by a roll pin, so there is nothing to overtighten..
the vibration issue is a possibility, that is one approach that is worth trying,

I thought that the push rod might be a sconch too long and plan to shim the cylinder away from the firewall with a couple of washers.  the rod is non-adjustable and I just don't want to grind it down if that is not the problem.

I have looked for recalls and have found none.  It also went to the dealer once, they fixed it and about 5 weeks later it too cracked.

So far I'm totally stumped
Doug

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
When I read your post, you mentioned that you had gone through 8 of these? My question is, Where have you been buying these? Maybe it's time to get one from the dealer or change the place where you are buying these. Try NAPA! Of course you can't overlook the fact that even Delco parts are made in third world countrys by less than skilled labor!
I don't know but it seems as though I would do what someone else said, change the line and try to go for a better master unit! As well as try to find out if this is a problem related to this unit thats been on going.

Just my 2 cents.
Bruce
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)