tunnelram tunning??

Started by Robbie, April 08, 2004, 03:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

Hello,
I have a 350sb  board 30 over,with flat top piston( 4 eyes on top of piston)  weiand Tunnelram  with 2  450cfm mec sec holly carbs.
Rpm range is 2800-8000      
magum hyd roller cam--288/286  230/230  560/560  lobe 110  
rpm range is 2800-8000
1.5 roller rockers
world sportsman 2 heads  200runners  64cc    
411 gear      350 trans   3500 stall
msd ready to run dist, with coil

The problem i have is,I have a bog at differnt rpm speeds.  i can down shift it and the bog aint hardly there when i hit the gas,or i can start off in low gear and shift up and it does ok,  but if im cruising at about 3000rpm it will bog just about a sec or 2.if i hit the gas.  and at lower rpm speeds in 3 gear it will bog longer.,but if i down shift it ,  it aint that bad....  I havent change much on the carbs, i have rejetted it and played with the mixture srews,and change the squritters ,and the throttle cam,but havent yet change the acc pumps..  to the 50cc pumps..yets..   some say i should change them but others say i shouldnt..     i have tuned it this far ,and its a little better,but do i need to change the acc pumps???  I know 390cfm vac carbs would work better,cause this car is mainly for cruise-ins and car shows..but my money is tight.  i got to make do with what i have.   any help would be great..

enjenjo

First off, the carbs you have are all wrong for a TR manifold, but I am sure you know that.

I don't think your carbs are double pumpers, and they really should be for a TR. So I think you will do well to use the 50 CC pumps. Particularly since you should go to a bigger squirter too. I used to run 30's, and they require a hollow bolt to work right. Since you only have one squirter for each carb, they make a squirter that has 4 nozzles instead of two, you have to drill holes in the choke horn for two of the nozzles to reach the secondarys.

Also, we normally had to modify the secondary cam on mechanical secondary carbs to get rid of all the bog with an auto trans. Slower opening at first, and faster at the end. And make sure your floats are set right, that can cause a bog too.

I don't think any of this will be enough, but it may get you into the ball park.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Robbie

the 450cfm carbs came from summitracing,  i bought the tunnelram as a combo, i believe i have #36squritters in right now.. so i will try the 50cc pumps

Dirk35

WOW!!! I really almost have the exact same set-up! Same tunnel ram combo, similar cam. MSD iginition, only all in Ford 302.

I havent got mine near able to run yet, so Ill be watching all your engine question Robbie.

Robbie

maybe yours will run a little better ,  just have to wait till you crank it up.
a friend of mine has about the same set up except his heads are the alum rpm edelbrock,  but the same on the 64cc    200runners and his cam is one step bigger then mine  and his runs great,  he had to change the acc pumps to the 50cc and change the squritters  .  im going to try his carbs before i buy anything else,but after some tuning mine runs ok, just not what i want it to, but its baddddddddddd...   lol   robbie

Dirk35

Hey Robbie, can you shoot me an e-mail so I can keep track of you for when I actually do get it running and have questions?

I still have to install the entire wiring kit, get the radiator recored, and get all the accessory parts bought. So Itll probably be a couple of months.

dirk1935@yahoo.com

Thanks, D

Dirk35

Robbie

Quote from: "Dirk35"TEST

yes i will keep in touch,if you like you can e-mail me at RoberParks1@cox.net   and put tunneltram in the subject box,
i just got threw playing with the cams on the side of the carbs,and the mixture srews,and it runs awhole lot better,but still have a little bog,but im going to change the acc pumps to the 50cc this week, hoping it will get even better,  just what ever you do,dont give up on it if it acts up at first,maybe you will be lucky and hardly have no problem.  What car are you putting it in,??? and what stall converter do you have,and gear..cause them 2 things makes a big differnts..  Robbie

Dirk35

Robbie, it keeps kicking that e-mail address back as undeliverable.

Robbie

Quote from: "Dirk35"Robbie, it keeps kicking that e-mail address back as undeliverable.

sorry, i messed up,  i forgot the   t   its  RobertParks1@cox.net