Modern tilt column with air bag for 1950 Chevy 5 window PU

Started by dynaflo, April 06, 2004, 08:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dynaflo

Greetings all...

I have a project in which the owner is requesting an air bag for the driver.  :?:

This project is getting Chubbies independent front suspension and a ford 9" rear. Power will be a crate z4 via a Richmond 5 speed box.

Any ideas or experience?

I have seen drivers bags used before some years ago on a custom rod, but have no info.

Any help appreciated!!

Michael Begley

aka...dynaflo

enjenjo

I see liability issues here, big time. Someone is making an add on air bag setup, complete with some type of sensor. I don't remember who, but there are shops around here that install them. You might look into that.

Also, all air bag systems require a three point seat belt as a minimum, along with the bag.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"I see liability issues here, big time. Someone is making an add on air bag setup, complete with some type of sensor. I don't remember who, but there are shops around here that install them. You might look into that.

Also, all air bag systems require a three point seat belt as a minimum, along with the bag.

yep,me too!

but when you"re building custom stuff, ya kinda open up yourself to that crap...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Phat

Also look at the shifter placement on the richmond.  I also have a 5 window in the shop that the customer wants to use the 5 speed richmond but wants a bench seat.  Dont look like its going to work.  The tremeck has a 7 inch and 12 in shifter location in the 5 and 6 speed but i cant get one for 12 weeks so(speical order and 3000.00 bucks)....... what a pain.  For liability i also wont install and air bag or remove one.  The big 3 auto makers have enough problems with pick-ups i think i will leave that alone.  Sell them a collapable steering column. The seat belts in a 5 window take a little work but they can be done.  I most times  i cut a small hole in the roof and weld a good size threaded plate in by the window.  Kinda tuff to do on a finished truck. The floor i most times weld a 1x3 square tube across the back under the floor and use it to mount the back of the seat and the seat belts  Its welded to the bottom of the floor all the way to the rockers.  Stiffins up the foor real well also.  I cant seem to post pixs anymore or i could show you as i have done a few of them.
Old racers go in deep and come out hard

dynaflo

Thanks for the info regarding the richmond.
This is one big kid who will be driving it and he could barely operate the pedals...so to get him more leg room I removed the gas tank from behind the seat and am adding a stainless 20 gallon tank under the bed. The bench seat will be pushed back three or four inches to give him some more leg room. So I think the shifter will work okay with the bench seat.

As far as the air bag is concerned, I am not that crazy about the idea and in particular about the liability issues. My original plan was to instal a roll bar setup and mount three point belts from there...but your idea about attatching to the floor and cab sounds better. The roll bar will take up room I would rather have for extra leg room.

I will continue looking around socal for a shop that may do the work....I at least have to make the effort for the client.

If you can send pics via email please do...would love to see them and possibly follow your lead.   novoresto@comcast.net

Dolly

DO NOT DO IT!

SRS Airbags will not work properly with a rigid chassis and front body work.  Even the slightest tap on the front bumper could set it off.

DO fit three point seatbelts and attach them to the body.  Roll bars in street cars cause more trauma than if the driver simply belted their head against the windscreen.  Roll bars work fine in race cars coz race car drivers also wear a helmet.
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.