Bonneville Roll Call............

Started by 1FATGMC, July 10, 2006, 05:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

It is almost time  :D .  Racing starts on the salt August 12th, 33 days from now.

Who's going and I'd like to get some idea how many of you are going to come to Blanding and go up with Hooley, John, myself and the rest of the 974 crew.

Here is the schedule:

Come into Blanding anytime you can and I know a couple of you are trying to get here a couple days early to do some sight seeing.  I would like to do something a little different this year.  2 years ago I took George (purplepickup) and Jim (River1) to an Anasazi ruin called Lewis Lodge.  It is an "unrestored" thousand year old ruin in a spectacular setting.

It is about a 2 mile round trip hike to it and back to the road and you need to be in somewhat good shape to do it.  Maybe George and Jim could give a better idea of how hard they thin this hike is so you would know if it was for you or not.

This is the inside of a kiva that not all that many people have been in.  

This is the view out the kiva.  

Besides the walk which is more difficult than past years we also need a 4 wheel drive to get the last couple miles to the trail head.  I have my jeep and can take about 6-7 people the last couple miles in it and if we would have more than that I could make multiple trips or maybe someone else will have a 4 wheel drive.

Since this adventure is a little more strenuous I want to do it on Tuesday (August 8th), which would mean you would have to get to Blanding by Monday night.  Besides the hike to the ruin we will go to a couple other ruins that we can drive right to with the jeep and see some really nice country.

On Wed. I plan a trip to some other ruins where the hike will be easier and where it won't be so demanding on the vehicle to get to them (these would also be new I think to everyone).  Wed. night we could all eat out together or do a barbeque at the house.  To go on the Wed. hike you need to get to Blanding Tuesday night.  There is a Super 8 right across from our house/store and also a Comfort Inn across the street and other motels in town.  PM me if you need help with this.

Thursday morning we will leave and drive to Moab for breakfast and from there up to the Salt with probably a stop at Bo Huff's place if so desired.  Friday we setup our pits and will put Hooley's Stude through tech inspection and racing starts Saturday.

Anyone coming????

c ya, Sum

Ohio Blue Tip

Get ready, get set! :D   Ya know Charlie and me are a comen! :twisted:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

river1

i'll be there!!

hopefully mon nite but tues for sure!!

here is a view of lewis lodge (i think) from the start of the canyon. it is the dark slot that starts about half way down the left side of the pic

SPECTACULAR

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Cword

I'll be seeing you guys on the salt.
I don't get home from Germany until 3 August and have to work a couple days before I head south.

Mike
--

sirstude

See you on the salt also this year.  Won't have time to make it down to your place though Sum.  

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

av8

See you on the Salt, Sum. I'll be hanging out with high-school pals -- all retired now -- at the Bend in the Road. Getting them involved this year so they can be of some real use in '07 when we bring the racetruck.  :D

Mike

Cword

Doug,
When are you hitting the road?

Dad and I hope to do Calgary to Great Falls after work on Wednesday the 9th, then go the rest of the way on the 10th.

Mike
--

sirstude

Mike,

Odie and I are leaving early Friday, stop by on you way if you can,  I usually can get away from work without too much trouble.  On the 9th we have a cruise night, but if you are leaving after work, you will probably be too late to make the extra drive down from GF.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Leon

Be seeing all of you on the salt.  I'm going to see if they are going to put me to work this year...

Dusty

Sum....Lillie and I will be in Blanding, Monday evening or Tuesday morning...2 mile hikes in Utah are very demanding....In fact a 1/2 mile hike if you're not in shape is bad enough

Benny
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

Charlie Chops 1940

Dusty,

Glad you and Miss Lillie will be there for the festivities. Ken and I will have to make a bit of a bonzai run out from Louisville but we'll be there too.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Dusty"Sum....Lillie and I will be in Blanding, Monday evening or Tuesday morning...2 mile hikes in Utah are very demanding....In fact a 1/2 mile hike if you're not in shape is bad enough

Benny

We will be looking forward to seeing you guys and everyone else.  Are you still in Penn??? Are you going home before coming here??

c ya, Sum

purplepickup

I'm planning to be there by Monday night too. I'm going to leave Louisville Sunday morning and drive about 800 miles per day.  After having to skip a year I'm really looking forward to this year's trip.

Going to Lewis Lodge is a hike I'm looking forward to too.  :D  Here's a picture I took there in 2004 to give a little more perspective.  Jim (river1) is in the white circle and Sumner is in the blue one.  It isn't quite as bad as it might look....but close. :shock: The ruins are in very good shape compared to some more accessable ones that have been looted and vandalized.

George

Charlie Chops 1940

As long as I don't have to rappel down to where Sum is standing I'm okay with it.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"As long as I don't have to rappel down to where Sum is standing I'm okay with it.

Charlie

No rappelling Charlie.  You just start at the top above me and put you hand in that crack.  Then make a fist and lower yourself down some.  Now put your free hand in the crack and make a fist and repeat this until you get down to the ledge.

That is the easy part.  Going up is where you sweat a little.  Especially the "big" guys :wink:

We are going to have fun :!:  :!: .

c ya soon,

Sum