At Last

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, July 06, 2006, 01:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Kinda sounds like the refrain of a pleasant song....

I got the track roadster carbs/idle under control enough to take a turn around the back yard under power this morning. The temptation was high to spin a donut, but I peeked up and saw Sharon looking out of the window at her crazy partner, so I stifled myself.

I sent in a quote request for insurance so hope to have it legal in the next week. Will be running historical plates so a trip to the state capitol to get plates will be in the cards when the insurance certificate comes.

Then I'll go find a good place to spin a donut or three.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Kinda sounds like the refrain of a pleasant song....

I got the track roadster carbs/idle under control enough to take a turn around the back yard under power this morning. The temptation was high to spin a donut, but I peeked up and saw Sharon looking out of the window at her crazy partner, so I stifled myself.

I sent in a quote request for insurance so hope to have it legal in the next week. Will be running historical plates so a trip to the state capitol to get plates will be in the cards when the insurance certificate comes.

Then I'll go find a good place to spin a donut or three.

You going to have it at Loovul? I'll fill the tank in exchange for a ride... :!:  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Ohio Blue Tip

You going to have it at Loovul? I'll fill the tank in exchange for a ride... :!:  :D[/quote]

Can I get the same deal?  :lol:  I'll install a 100 gallon tank. :twisted:

Ken
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

n.c.rodder

Hey Chopper,
I'm going to be in Muskegon next Tuesday for the cruise night. You going to bring it out????

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

moose

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"

quote]

Charlie,

Did they change something at the SofS? I have always been able to get the historical stuff done at the local office or via mail...

Tim

GPster

Back up a bit. What did Sharon find out from the back doctor? GPster

phat rat

Quote from: "n.c.rodder"Hey Chopper,
I'm going to be in Muskegon next Tuesday for the cruise night. You going to bring it out????

Mike

Mike, what's the occasion that your coming down for a cruise night? I'll try to remember to go.

Moose, I'm also not aware of any changes that would require a trip to Lansing.

Charlie, are you going with Grundy? If so you need the historical paper work for the best price. Of course you probably know that right?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"You going to have it at Loovul? I'll fill the tank in exchange for a ride... :!:  :D

Can I get the same deal?  :lol:  I'll install a 100 gallon tank. :twisted:

Ken[/quote]

Yes Sir. But your ride is from Kentucky to Florida... :shock:  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "n.c.rodder"Hey Chopper,

Mike

Mike, what's the occasion that your coming down for a cruise night? I'll try to remember to go.

Jack,
Ed & I are staying over night at Muskegon - We're taking the ferry to Wisconsin Wednesday morning for the Milwaukee Nats. OBT told me about the cruise night last time he was up.

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

Charlie Chops 1940

Go away for the afternoon and see what I miss?

Moose: Jack and I just got off the phone and he also informed me that historical plates are now available at the local DMV. Last time I got a new set(15 or so years ago) they were mail or Lansing only. I know about mail renewal.

Mike: I doubt that I'll have it at the cruise but you guys can stop over and see it. I don't think Grundy and I can agree on insurance quite that fast. And, I'd rather make my first few short trips by myself to avoid the whatevers.

Brian: It won't make Louisville as Ken and I are going from there to Bonneville and I don't think I'll ready for that big a trip in it. Still needs some short rides and carb sorting. The Weber carbs are all new ground for me and I'm a slow learner. I'll be driving the '40. I'll give you a ride in the '40 for a half a tank....

Joe: I guess I didn't mention in a post how Sharon's back MRI's and x-rays turned out...no surgury indicated for now. Some narrowing of the nerve canal and arthuritis. Therapy at home and no lifting over 10 pounds or something like that.

Nonetheless I'm excited to have moved it under power. I'll be confering with a Weber supplier tomorrow morning to get a few sizes of smaller jets, etc on order so I can sort out the rich mixture and flat spot just off idle.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Dirk35

Which Insurance carrier are you using? I used Grundy, have had NO claims, but it was easy and quick to get the insurance.

Charlie Chops 1940

Dirk,

I have Grundy already on my '40. Just sent the info in yesterday. Expect I'll hear from them on Monday - if I don't I'll call them.

I talked to my new best friend in the Weber carb bidness today and his first suggestion is that I get a better ignition system. He says the stock points dizzy and coil aren't gonna get it done. Just not hot enough with enough spar duration.. I'd read that before but thought(hoped) maybe I'd get away clean. The good part is that the carbs are probably pretty close based on their experience. Might have to lean out the main circuit at the end of the day, but new ignition first.

Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound. So, I'll be researching coils, MSD 6A boxed and an electronic conversion kit for my dizzy. Maybe there's a new dizzy out there, I don'y know yet.

I gladly accept suggestions. The engine is a early Chevy II 153 ci 4cyl (late 60's).

Charlie

A Hooligan!

kb426

I think congratulations are in order. As far as your new best friend is concerned: when ever someone told me the answer was to spend more money, I usually found I wasn't talking to the right person. Those of us that are old enough to know that points were the only thing available, if the carbs are right, it still runs fine.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "kb426"I think congratulations are in order. As far as your new best friend is concerned: when ever someone told me the answer was to spend more money, I usually found I wasn't talking to the right person. Those of us that are old enough to know that points were the only thing available, if the carbs are right, it still runs fine.

I have a little of that feeling too but since I've already got lots of bucks in the Weber carbs and they are way fat I will keep exploring before I fully give in. Most of the literature I read on Webers point towards improved ignition systems, and my Weber guy isn't trying to sell me anything. He's just offering what he feels needs to be done before we start rejetting the carbs, if necessary.

If anyone on here has any real world experience with side draft Webers I'd sure like to hear your story.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

phat rat

Those of us that are old enough to know that points were the only thing available, if the carbs are right, it still runs fine.  

Hey Charlie you're not old enough :wink:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.