well, ok, it's been a while (slapper bar Q)

Started by tomslik, July 02, 2006, 04:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

i figgure that if i have to make a bottom spring plate/shock mount anyway, why not  just build a slapper bar setup....but it's been too * long since i've been around any that i kinda thought maybe i'd better ask about materials... 1"X2" heavy wall rectangular tubing be enough or should i go with 2"X2" and how *' much space between the spring eye and snubber is a good starting place?

sucks getting old and senile.... :roll:  :lol:  :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

donsrods

Been a few years for me too, but I think 2 x 2 would be better.  As for how close, wasn't a U bolt positioned about mid way between the rear mount and the snubber so you could crank them down tighter for when you were racing?
On the street you would leave them a little more loose. At least that is what I remember. There was a cross piece welded on with two holes drilled so the u bolt could go over the spring and drop down thru those holes.

But I do know one thing for sure. You've got to paint them white so everybody knows they are on there. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Don

tomslik

Quote from: "donsrods"Been a few years for me too, but I think 2 x 2 would be better.  As for how close, wasn't a U bolt positioned about mid way between the rear mount and the snubber so you could crank them down tighter for when you were racing?
On the street you would leave them a little more loose. At least that is what I remember. There was a cross piece welded on with two holes drilled so the u bolt could go over the spring and drop down thru those holes.

But I do know one thing for sure. You've got to paint them white so everybody knows they are on there. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Don

this "paint" thing, what's that?

i was gonna leave 'em rust... :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

hello.

I need to extend the tubes a bit... snubber should be under the spring eye bolt.

tube sixe is 1.5 x 2.5
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"hello.

I need to extend the tubes a bit... snubber should be under the spring eye bolt.

tube sixe is 1.5 x 2.5

once upon a time i had some bars made by MAS that just clamped around the spring about where your bumper hits (btw, i remember that'll bend the spring right there, too)
how much gap you running between the spring and bumper?
same side-to-side?

just for the record, it's on my 50 jimmy with caravan rear springs....
305/350 turbo but i think that'll change... :wink:

btw, you ran the falcon yet or are ya still working on it?