One step forward...trip and fall back.

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, June 24, 2006, 09:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

My intention this morning before coffee was to fire the roadster pickup but the first thing that eluded me was spark. Finally got that under contro later in the morning. I had to do some yard work after lunch so it took awhile to get back to it. The next quest was fuel - there was any getting to the engine; in fact it wasn't getting anywhere. I thought I might have plumbed the mechanical pump wrong but it turned out correct in comparison to an old OEM pump I found in my parts stash.

So, I pulled the pump off and after * around with it for awhile I discovered by holding the pump in the pump boss while cranking the engine that the camshaft fuel pump lobe wasn't touching the pump arm. At first glance it looked like the OEM arm stuck out further, so I held it up to the block and loe and behold it didn't touch the cam lobe either. What's the chances of that?

Sig Erson made this cam up for me some 20+ years ago and who would have ever thought to check the offset of the pump lobe? Certainly not something I ever ran into before.

The OEM (AC) pump has a  0.100" hardened rub plate riveted to the pump arm while the aftermarket pump just sticks out the extra distance. Guess I'll  tack weld that plate to the new pump arm to see if it makes up the difference - curiosity, you know?

I guess what I need long run though is a block-off plate and an electric fuel pump. I will need to regulate the pump to around 3.5 psi for the weber carbs. The lowest rate pump I see in the Summit catalog is 5 psi. With a regulator, will I need to have a return line to the tank or will the  difference  be negligible enough to not cause a problem?

It gives me great pleasure to report that all is well in the mysterious world of hot rods - nothing hardly ever turns out right the first time around.

Comments?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"My intention this morning before coffee was to fire the roadster pickup but the first thing that eluded me was spark. Finally got that under contro later in the morning. I had to do some yard work after lunch so it took awhile to get back to it. The next quest was fuel - there was any getting to the engine; in fact it wasn't getting anywhere. I thought I might have plumbed the mechanical pump wrong but it turned out correct in comparison to an old OEM pump I found in my parts stash. So, I pulled the pump off and after * around with it for awhile I discovered by holding the pump in the pump boss while cranking the engine that the camshaft fuel pump lobe wasn't touching the pump arm. At first glance it looked like the OEM arm stuck out further, so I held it up to the block and loe and behold it didn't touch the cam lobe either. What's the chances of that?Sig Erson made this cam up for me some 20+ years ago and who would have ever thought to check the offset of the pump lobe? Certainly not something I ever ran into before.The OEM (AC) pump has a  0.100" hardened rub plate riveted to the pump arm while the aftermarket pump just sticks out the extra distance. Guess I'll  tack weld that plate to the new pump arm to see if it makes up the difference - curiosity, you know?I guess what I need long run though is a block-off plate and an electric fuel pump. I will need to regulate the pump to around 3.5 psi for the weber carbs. The lowest rate pump I see in the Summit catalog is 5 psi. With a regulator, will I need to have a return line to the tank or will the  difference  be negligible enough to not cause a problem?It gives me great pleasure to report that all is well in the mysterious world of hot rods - nothing hardly ever turns out right the first time around.Comments?Charlie
Boy, that's an awfully long day without coffee. I remember you telling me that you might have to build a "Sprint Car" type of wing on it to provide some shade. Maybe you could make the wing and use it for a gravity feed gas tank. That would at least get it running. GPster

phat rat

So tell us, what popped up sparkwise after I left?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "phat rat"So tell us, what popped up sparkwise after I left?

I had neglected to run a hot ignition wire from the panel into the + side of the coil circuit.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I don't think you will need a return line. I just picked up a Holley regulator adjustable from 1.5  to 4 psi. Carter had a neat electronic fuel pump about the size of a D battery, I have had good service out of them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Frank,

I've read good reports on a Carter CRT P 4070 for use with Webers. Is that the one? It apparenly averages around 4 psi and is relatively quiet and has a rubber mounting system.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I did some checking, I looked at the pump, and it's a Walbro, but it was in a Carter box. It looks like this one  http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?initemuid=432&fcmd=item&inmake=0

but that is a high pressure pump. They are nearly silent, you can hear them with the engine off, but not while it's running. I can try to dig up a part number for you.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

SKR8PN

Charlie..if you need a holley regulator,DO NOT BUY ONE..........
pm me your addy........... :wink:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Charlie Chops 1940

Frank - no need yet for a p/n on an electric pump. Gotta sort the carbs first.

Jim, thanks for the offer but I'm gonna try to do it without a regulator so that I don't lose vo;umn.

Charlie

A Hooligan!