Ok tell what I'm seeing on this engine

Started by 41woodie, June 20, 2006, 08:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Saw this posted on a streetrod classified advertising site.  Click on the picture of the engine and tell me what this guy has done to his engine.  I've sent this to a couple of car buddies and we're all guessing.  Is it a joke or is it real. I don't know how to post a website to this board but please cut and paste this url and post back if you have a clue. http://www.streetrodding.com/sr/index.cfm?&fuseaction=dsp.cars&id=17024&showpic=95018

EMSjunkie

Well, for starters, he is pulling vacuum for both the distributors off a PORTED vaccum source. if he had read Steve Jacks post about vacuum advance, he would know to pull vacuum from a MANIFOLD source.

other than that, I don't see anything wrong.  :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

41woodie

Ok, I'll go with pulling vacuum off the wrong port but back up and tell me about two distributors.  I've run dual points and have heard about dual coils in the old days.  I know that there was a front cover piece for a SBC that allowed you to run a front distributor, but I think that the distributor set in at an angle when using that modified cover.  Is the front one stuck in the old breather/oil filler location on an older style intake??

donsrods

other than that, I don't see anything wrong.

Yeah, you have to do SOMETHING to try to make a Chevy engine run better. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'M KIDDING, JUST KIDDING. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Geesh !!!!

I don't know what the heck this is, other than a real conversation piece at car shows. Looks to me that only the front distributor wires go to any plugs, but I could be wrong.

Don

SKR8PN

Now THAT would take a special camshaft to pull off :shock:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

GPster

Because the engine is supposed to be out of a Vette I would imagine he kept the back distributer to drive the oil pump and maybe drive a mechanical tack. He may have used the front distributor drive deal to move the fan on the short water pump closer to the radiator if it's still mounted in the 6 cyl. position. GPster

kb426

That front mount looks like the one that I think Pete Jackson made. I can't seem to trace out any wires from the rear unit actually running to any plugs.
TEAM SMART

EMSjunkie

That rear dizzy has got to be for show, there is only one plug per cyl, and they have a single plug wire running to them.

I think. :?
maybe.

I'm gonna go take my medicine now. :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

Looks like a ChevOrd to me, but I could be wrong. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

parklane

I think that the front dissy is a dummy. All you see is a rag, where it mounts into the block/timing cover. The plug wires are hooked up, but that means nothing.

John :roll:
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

donsrods

I tried blowing up the picture to about 10 times it's size, and still couldn't make out what is up with the 2 distributors. I think the plugs are only connected to the front dist via the gray wires. The black wires on the rear dist seem to go nowhere.

I think he did it for just what he accomplished here, shock value. It makes people look and shake their heads trying to figure what is up. As far as I can see, there is nothing special about the engine that would warrant dual dist like 2 sparkplugs per cylinder, etc.

I think it is just a little joke he has played on onlookers.

Don

GPster

Quote from: "donsrods"I tried blowing up the picture to about 10 times it's size, and still couldn't make out what is up with the 2 distributors. I think the plugs are only connected to the front dist via the gray wires. The black wires on the rear dist seem to go nowhere.I think he did it for just what he accomplished here, shock value. It makes people look and shake their heads trying to figure what is up. As far as I can see, there is nothing special about the engine that would warrant dual dist like 2 sparkplugs per cylinder, etc.I think it is just a little joke he has played on onlookers.Don
It would definately be over kill but maybe the original distributor is used for spark on a "Flame Thrower" exhaust. GPster

Rrumbler

I think Parklane's got the right of it; the guy wrapped the rag around the shaft so it wouldn't scratch the paint, stuck it between the timing cover and the water pump, hooked the wires up, and took the pic just to get a bunch of folks talkin'.  Ya've been scammed! :shock:  :lol:  :lol:
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

parklane

the guy wrapped the rag around the shaft so it wouldn't scratch the paint, stuck it between the timing cover and the water pump, hooked the wires up, and took the pic just to get a bunch of folks talkin'.   :shock:  :lol:  :lol:[/quote]

Well, if that's the case, it worked :wink:  :)(
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??