Brake and gas pedal placement

Started by 48builder, May 31, 2006, 08:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I'm trying to finalize the placement of my gas and brake pedals before I make the template for my stainless firewall. I discovered that I need to move my brake booster about an inch to the left. Are there any standard guidelines as to how far apart the two pedals should be? There is 3 inches between them now. I can move the gas pedal about 1/2" left if I need to. I measured my '39 and it is about 4, so I'd still be in the same range. I also don't want to end up with the brake too close to the kick panel and no where to put my left foot when driving.

Also, is there a rule for how much travel the brake pedal should have? I can push it to the floor, but I know if I ever get to that point while driving, I'm in deep doodoo. I can change the floor and make it deeper, but don't know if that's needed.

Thanks in advance

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

No firm rules, but some guidelines. You should be able to lift your foot straight off the gas, and apply the brake by pivoting on your heel. So at idle, the gas pedal can't be much lower than the brake pedal. Between the trans tunnel, and the brake pedal, it should be wider than your shoe, by about an inch. Brake pedal travel should be bottoming out the master cylinder before the pedal hits the floor with about 1/2" of room with no carpet or padding.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

To answer this question is someone that is coordination challenged. I'd be concerned that you're not looking at enough of the picture. Where you settle into your seat and where your steering wheel center is will also determine how easily you can move you foot from brake to gas pedals and back. I'd keep in mind that the brake pedal is the one that you'll most likely need in an emergency and your force should center on it. The mechanics between the foot pedal can be askew from one another because your foot is not trying to push the pushrod into the back of the booster. Your brake pedal should be where your foot will find it without a bunch of thinking. The gas pedal usually doesnt require as much force and it doesn't need to be in that logical a location. Using it is a coordination of thought and study and should be more of a learned experience but I wouldn't put them so close that one of your learned experiences is that you can't go from W.O.T. to stop because your foot is stuck between the floor and the backside of the brake pedal. More than you need and probably more than you want to think about, GPster

alchevy

I put my gas pedal where my foot would be comfortable, but I did not realize that I had the throttle linkage in a bind on the other side of the firewall. So watch out for where the linkage connects to your carb.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"No firm rules, but some guidelines. You should be able to lift your foot straight off the gas, and apply the brake by pivoting on your heel.

Thanks. I decided I will modify the floor so that I have full travel on the brake pedal. I don't know if I'll be able to pivot my heel to get to it. I may have to move my gas pedal to do that. I have plenty of room between the trans tunnel and the brake. Wish I had more room to the left of the brake pedal, but these old cars are lacking in floor space. I'm trying to duplicate the same type of placement in my newer cars.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"No firm rules, but some guidelines. You should be able to lift your foot straight off the gas, and apply the brake by pivoting on your heel. So at idle, the gas pedal can't be much lower than the brake pedal. Between the trans tunnel, and the brake pedal, it should be wider than your shoe, by about an inch. Brake pedal travel should be bottoming out the master cylinder before the pedal hits the floor with about 1/2" of room with no carpet or padding.

In My projct '40 Ford truck I have no room for peddles! there is a C6 in the way! I have a steel rod, about 1/2" dia, that serves as a go peddle adn the stop peddle is on the other side of the column...I have always driven everything two footed, right foot gas; left foot brake...two feet, two peddles....hmmmm...must be a reason!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

C9

Here's some pics that may help.

455 Buick, 4" firewall recess, T-400 trans, engine oil pan about 7" off the ground, trans is about the same distance off the ground.

Fwiw, there's a trans and converter scatter shield (both aluminum) under the floor.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

C9

C9

C9

Same basic layout in the 32 roadster.

Gennie Shifter stainless pedal in this one.

The shoe is sitting too high on the pedal and when you're driving your foot is at an angle so it works very well.

I'm a left foot braker, but other people drive the car and do the right foot brake bit with no probs.
I've used the right foot at times, but prefer left.
C9

48builder

Quote from: "C9"Same basic layout in the 32 roadster.

Gennie Shifter stainless pedal in this one.

The shoe is sitting too high on the pedal and when you're driving your foot is at an angle so it works very well.

I'm a left foot braker, but other people drive the car and do the right foot brake bit with no probs.
I've used the right foot at times, but prefer left.

Thanks a lot! I have quite a bit more room in my sedan, but I think I have the info I need now to get everything right.
'39 Chevy driver