Re: 1994 Ford Aerostar Van.........

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 01, 2004, 09:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"Rack & pinion question.... I need to help my brother swap out the whole tie rod on the steering  rack... NOT just the outer ends.

What type of retaining pin is at the rack where the joint threads on??

I know I will see  when I get it apart, but I am curious what is there.

Seems like some of them have soft aluminum plugs driven in to retain the end threaded onto the rack.

you be correct.
i just unscrew 'em gently and screw the new one on...

lotsa screwin' to be done ;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Fat Cat

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "Crosley"Rack & pinion question.... I need to help my brother swap out the whole tie rod on the steering rack... NOT just the outer ends.

What type of retaining pin is at the rack where the joint threads on??

I know I will see  when I get it apart, but I am curious what is there.

Seems like some of them have soft aluminum plugs driven in to retain the end threaded onto the rack.

you be correct.
i just unscrew 'em gently and screw the new one on...

I have always found the need to replace the whole rack before the inners wear out. I have a 91 that is right now leaking out the end of the left side next to the inner. I am just too lazy(and cheap) to replace it and just fill it with fluid as needed.

SKR8PN

I bought a special tool,that resembles a 15 inch deep socket,that was made just for those inner tie rod ends. Sometimes they can be a real JOY to change if you don't have that tool.
Coil springs AND inner tie rod ends,and for a relative! Must be your lucky week!
Last Saturday was my day in the barrel............I was ALLOWED to do a complete,four wheel brake job on my bro-in-law's Ranger pickup.......
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

SKR8PN

QuoteI do not even allow him to put tools away.... why spend 2 days looking for them?  :wink:

ROTFLMAO......as I search for my brake tools,my bro-in-law put away.......
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Fat Cat"
I have always found the need to replace the whole rack before the inners wear out. I have a 91 that is right now leaking out the end of the left side next to the inner. I am just too lazy(and cheap) to replace it and just fill it with fluid as needed.

=========== I have mentioned to my brother that the rack will fail after we do this repair under the rule of Murphy's law.

He only wishes to replace the tie rods.  I get to install new coil springs too.  woo hoo!

thanks for the info

Tony, why do you ALWAYS get the GOOD jobs? I finished up GF's brakes today on her Chrys Cirrus. Everything went bad one after the other; put in the MC today. Her son came over to install new plugs in his Dodge truck. He broke off the last plug on drivers side; plug came out, but threads stayed in. He bought the easy-out kit, and I luckily got it out for him, then he let me keep the kit. :lol:  Wish I had time to work on the Poncho.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil