Gap between the tank and body on a 32 Ford coupe?

Started by Topsterguy, February 13, 2004, 12:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Okay, so I've set the body on the frame and I'm using a Tanks steel gas tank under the coupe body (Flatlanders / New Age body). Everything sits nice, but I've got about 1 3/8" gap between the top of the tank and the bottom edge of the body. Seems like a lot when I look at my roadster - is this common/right/okay on a coupe?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

nzsimon

its common and looks awful your gap is pretty good some I have seen are a mile wide many make a small panel and podds either side to fill the gap and take away the sharp square end the body has with no guards there are examples at fastlanerodshop.com browse around the pics section
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Dingus

I think that the back of the frame may be bent down! My experience is that the tank just bearly slides in. I would take some measurements off the flat portion of the frame ahead of the kick-up and see how low the ends of the frame are. If you can do this and would like a check measurement from me, let me know.

32tom

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Okay, so I've set the body on the frame and I'm using a Tanks steel gas tank under the coupe body (Flatlanders / New Age body). Everything sits nice, but I've got about 1 3/8" gap between the top of the tank and the bottom edge of the body. Seems like a lot when I look at my roadster - is this common/right/okay on a coupe?

If the frame is original, it's common problem caused by the rear axle bottoming out on the frame. If the frame shows any bulge on the side at the axle bumper, the rear frame horns will run down hill making the gap larger.

My right side is a little lower than the left. That will get corrected with the new frame.
Too dumb to know any better and too old to care.

Topsterguy

Hmmmmm, my frame uses the Hot Rods and Horsepower rails and they were brand new so I can't see them having dropped at the back! From what I see there's not much that can be done about it really - the frame's not going to move and the body isn't going to change...........!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Dave

Mine has a gap also its common. after you get it all painted and done you wont even notice it. Ill measure mine today and see how much mine is. im using a tanks poly tank with a fiberglass cover.
Dave

Pope Downunder

Seen a lot like that.
If it were mine I'd be looking at how to fix it. Can only be the floor or the frame; how serious can it be?