Installing Heater Hose - Vintage Air Unit

Started by MikeC, May 13, 2006, 03:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeC

I am trying to "slip" the 5/8" heater hose over the male copper tube on my Vintage Air A/C unit under my dash.  Also over the heater servo controll.  Is there some kind of trick to get it over the end in order to clamp with hose clamp or am I just getting old and weak?  I  tried some WD-40 but it really didn't seem to help.  
Any suggestions?  Tricks??
Thanks
MikeC

enjenjo

Try hot water. Soak the end of the hose a couple minutes in a coffee can of hot water, and it should slip on.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tonto1

I have a Vintage Air unit in my '41 Chevy and didn't have any problem with the heater hoses. I used silicon spray to lubricate the hose.

But did have problems putting the A/C duct hoses on.  In fact, I never did get them on. They are to small to fit over the vent inlets, and to large to go inside them.
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

EMSjunkie

I put a Vintage Air Gen II Compac system in my coupe, didn't have any trouble, are you sure the hoses are 5/8 and not 3/4?

I can"t remember what size mine is. :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Okiedokie

Tonto1, were the hoses and vent in the same kit? If they are the same size, you can do it. They are a snug fit and easiest done with the hose thru the dash and the vent not yet installed. Using your fingernails you should be able to coerce them onto the vent. Assuming hose size matches vent inlet size. Not exactly an easy thing to do, but I have done it a few times, SO ANYONE CAN. Joe

tonto1

Thanks, Joe for the info.
I use that line all the time.(If I can do it, anyone can)
I did buy the hoses and vents all together as part of the kit.
I guess I'll try it again sometime.
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?