Covering Garnish Moulding

Started by MikeC, May 01, 2006, 05:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeC

Since this is my first rod, I am not sure what the best method for covering the garnish mouldings on my 39 Chevy.  Should I paint them the same color as the outside of the car or cover them in the leather that I am using for the interior?  Or any other ideas??
Thanks
MikeC

I have done both....the last few cars,I have painted them the same color as the interior only with a matt  finish.I get the same look as if they were covered in leather only they are much easier to maintain.Here is a photo of the door garnish on my latest project
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Roadstar

I have also done the paint them interior color, kinda flat. It looks contempary.

48builder

Quote from: "40"I have done both....the last few cars,I have painted them the same color as the interior only with a matt  finish.I get the same look as if they were covered in leather only they are much easier to maintain.Here is a photo of the door garnish on my latest project

Hey 40,

Is that the original shape of the moulding? I'm trying to come up with something original to do with mine, and the shape of those looks nice. Of course, if I copy you then it won't be original. Of course nobody around here will know that.  :lol:
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Walt,Those are the stock garnish mouldings.Just sandblasted,primed and painted them.On the last couple of cars I've welded a stud thru the two bottom screw holes to eliminate the screws....didn't do it on the 36,just used crowned stainless screws.If you eliminate the bottom screws....they really appear to be covered with fabric.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Glen

I painted mine flat, most people think they are wrapped in leather.