Drill Doctor

Started by richard 36dodge, April 14, 2006, 02:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard 36dodge

Anybody bought one of these ? If so did it work ? Where did you buy it and how much did you pay ?
I have a lot of dull drill bits.
Thanks , Rick Harris

i

Sean

We had one at work for a while, but we have several resident idiots and it didn't take them long to ruin the thing. It did work good at first though, and if a person actually followed the directions for use it would probably last a good while.

35WINDOW

I bought mine at a Swap Meet-like it, have to careful on the settings, paid $25-

Sometimes I can get better cutting action by sharpening by hand-

enjenjo

I have one, works good. But I am old fashioned and mostly do them by hand
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

My wife bought me one for Christmas a few years back.  One of the best things she has ever bought me.  I still sharpen the larger bits by hand but the smaller ones I use the drill doctor.   Sometimes I have to readjust the bit slightly in the drill holder to get the bit sharp.  When it was new I did not need to do this.  They are great.  I think the cheapest one is all that most people need.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

I really like mine.  Needs a fresh grinder stone / drum thingy
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

I have the one that sharpens up to 3/4" because it was almost the same price as the 1/2" one and I've got a few bits larger than 1/2".  I like it a lot.  I'm probably not as good as most at sharpening by hand so I resharpened a whole drawer full of bits a while back.  It sure is nice to use sharp drills again. :D

I see that Amazon has a special right now on both models with free shipping.  The prices are really good.  1/2 inch & 3/4 inch
George

richard 36dodge

:D THANKS for the great info ! I think I will get one.
Rick Harris

58 Yeoman

My brother gave me one for Christmas a couple years ago, and I'm like George, it works great for me.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

rooster

There seems to be alot of models out there witch one is the best to get. I never see them on sale anywhere! Would also like to get one.

Bob Paulin

Being the cheap.....er, FRUGAL person that I am, I have, for years, used one of those $9.95 pedestal-mounted, manually-operated drill sharpeners that I have mounted on the bench right next to my grinder.

It has taken drills of all sizes, and done a good job for me.

I like the fact that you can change angles to "customize" a drill bit to a job.

I picked up another one recently at a used-tool store that I frequent, and I plan to mount it near the tool grinder I will be setting up for my lathe bits.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

C9

I've got one, works well.
Bought an extra stone and haven't used it yet.

If you keep your eyes open, many times Sears sells good quality small bits - 5% Cobalt, TIN & ZIN dirt cheap.
Kinda nice to have a new and sharp pilot drill ready to go.

I've got several 1/4" a whole lot of 1/8" I use for pilot drilling.
I toss them into a bread pan when they get dull and have a sharpening party when I run out of new ones.

Some of the pilot drills I use on the lathe stay in a dedicated chuck.
Bought several chucks at a new/used tool store at a killer discount some time back.

Here's a pic of an aluminum block tool holder that holds the frequently used lathe stuff.

And one of the other stuff for the lathe.

Long as I'm at it, here's one of my drill press with stainless tray on the left.
It's very handy, especially so since I took the drill press off the workbench and no longer have a place for all the little stuff when you're drilling.
It's epoxied to a 1" square tubing base that's bolted to the drill press.

And one last one of the stand I made for the drill press.
It's handy and with the wide-spread legs it doesn't need to be bolted to the floor like a narrow base floor model would.
It has leveling bolts as well - 1/2".
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Arnold

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"Anybody bought one of these ? If so did it work ? Where did you buy it and how much did you pay ?
I have a lot of dull drill bits.
Thanks , Rick Harris

i

I have a couple of sharpeners.Somewhere? I haven't used one..or sharpened a bit less than about 1/2" in..so many years I am almost ashamed.I feel lazy..but..Haha..could I still hand sharpen a bit..I sure used to be able to! What happened is the large auto/hardware/home  supply chain,the Sears,Home Depot,Rona and another one..like to compete against each other.Aggressively!They are all close to me.Some of these are surely loss leaders.Come on's..but hey! They want to continuously do this..I'll just keep buyin' em..to a point.Often I see sets..in some sort of a case always.Of half decent bits.I don't buy crappy bits.These are usually 14-21 piece sets.They sell for anywhere from $3 Cdn to about $7.And..I used to grab a few sets when they were on sale like this.Now..I have quite a few brand new sets.Quite a few sets that are new that I have made up.And yes..a pretty good pile of loose and need to be sharpened bits.

Dirk35

Awesome!

I hate Dull Drill bits, and have never learned how to sharpen them correctly. I ordered the 3/4 one. Thanks George.

rooster

Quote from: "Dirk35"Awesome!

I hate Dull Drill bits, and have never learned how to sharpen them correctly. I ordered the 3/4 one. Thanks George.

I too! ordered the 3/4 !  During check out I didnt see anything about the 15.00 rebate. I guess that comes in the package. Been wanting one of these for a while now. Thanks for the lead George.