How to take the slack out of a Camaro steering box?

Started by WZ JUNK, April 12, 2006, 09:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I usually have the alignment guy do this for me but I had to take this one to another shop and they did not do it.  I know there is a trick to it but I have forgot.  Can someone tell me the correct way to adjust the steering box?   TIA

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

On top of the box is a screw with a jam nut on it. Loosen the nut, and back the screw out until the slack is gone, and holding the screw, tighten the jam nut.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

And you want the box centered in it's travel,
since the gears are designed to be tighter in the middle.

enjenjo

Ian, I was going to let him find that out the hard way. :lol:

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I usually have the alignment guy do this for me but I had to take this one to another shop and they did not do it.  I know there is a trick to it but I have forgot.  Can someone tell me the correct way to adjust the steering box?   TIA

John

Thanks,

I thought that was all there was to it but I was not sure.  At this stage in life it is better to ask first.  Probably I would have tried to tighten the screw.  I think I will give it a shot before I drive in to work this morning.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

1FATGMC

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Probably I would have tried to tighten the screw.
John

If you would have asked me I would have told you that I tightened the screw when I have done it.  I think I had better go check :oops: .

I sent you a PM.

c ya, Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

My Camaro book says the last step is to take the lash out by turning the screw (hex screw on mine) clockwise and then to tighten the lock nut.

c ya, Sum

enjenjo

I just checked, and thats what mine says too. I could swear I did just the opposite a couple weeks ago. :shock:

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"I just checked, and thats what mine says too. I could swear I did just the opposite a couple weeks ago. :shock:

After you posted the other day I went out (figuring you are never wrong :D  :wink: ) and adjusted mine by going "counter"-clockwise.  It seemed to take the slack out just fine and went for a ride and everything seemed fine.

Then talking to John last night we go to wondering about it, so I pulled my manual out and checked and it said "clockwise".  Well about then it was about dark and I have to take the truck to Gallup and back today (400 miles), so I rushed outside and adjusted it back the way the book said.

So I wonder if you can go either way???

I'll be leaving for Gallup in a few minutes and if you don't hear from me ever again consider rechecking your steering :roll: .

c ya, Sum

P.S.  Tony, everything clear as mud now :?

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I just checked, and thats what mine says too. I could swear I did just the opposite a couple weeks ago. :shock:

After you posted the other day I went out (figuring you are never wrong :D  :wink: ) and adjusted mine by going "counter"-clockwise.  It seemed to take the slack out just fine and went for a ride and everything seemed fine.

Then talking to John last night we go to wondering about it, so I pulled my manual out and checked and it said "clockwise".  Well about then it was about dark and I have to take the truck to Gallup and back today (400 miles), so I rushed outside and adjusted it back the way the book said.

So I wonder if you can go either way???

I'll be leaving for Gallup in a few minutes and if you don't hear from me ever again consider rechecking your steering :roll: .

c ya, Sum

P.S.  Tony, everything clear as mud now :?

I am not going to mess with mine until you get back.  You are the test dummy this time.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

1FATGMC

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "1FATGMC"I'll be leaving for Gallup in a few minutes and if you don't hear from me ever again consider rechecking your steering :roll: .

c ya, Sum

I am not going to mess with mine until you get back.  You are the test dummy this time.

John

I'm back, the steering was fine :D , we bought way too much for the store :cry:,  got 20 mpg going down at 75-85 and 18.6 coming back.  Took the truck up to 100 once and asked Julie if she knew how fast she was going :?:   She didn't, and didn't seem to care when I told her :wink: .

c ya, Sum