Looking for a 5 window 32 Glass body

Started by Daveyboy, April 08, 2006, 07:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveyboy

Ok i am looking for a 5 window 32 now in glass.
Are they any place out by me in So. Cailf?
Who makes a GOOD 5 window
Thanks Dave

Uncle Bob

Huntington beach close enough? :D

http://www.gmtmetal.com/road5w.html

Body is from Oz, not produced in HB.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Perhaps some of the fellows from "Down Under" will chime in shortly regarding this body....I have not seen a 5-Window first hand but have looked very closely at their 3-Window and am impressed.The price is a bit higher than some of the domestic bodies but,in my opinion,so is the quality.I wish they Imported the 36 Roadster body built by the same company as I would strongly consider building it as my first attempt at a glass car.Just not sure I want to go thru the hassles of trying to bring one into the country myself.....I'm sure the shipping would be an obstacle.Perhaps the thing to do may be to buy enough bodies to fill a container??The web address for the manufacturer is http://www.deucecustoms.com.au/home.html Check it out for yourself and good luck!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Bib_Overalls

Friend built a five window for a customer.  They used a body from a manufacturer in Conneticut.  It came out very nice but it took a lot more effort than you would expect with a body from a quality manufacturer.

If the bodies from Oz are as good as reported you would be money ahead going that way.

Condition is more important than the price of admission.

32 five windows are hot right now.  I'm surprised by the fact that there are only a couple of operations building them.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Daveyboy"Ok i am looking for a 5 window 32 now in glass.
Are they any place out by me in So. Cailf?
Who makes a GOOD 5 window
Thanks Dave

Try these guys out.
http://www.flatlandershotrods.com/
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Crosley.In.AZ

The OZ bodies are shipped upside down , so when they get to the USA they are right side up..

:wink:  :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Grandadeo

For what its worth, Gibbon Fiberglass has been taken over by someone in southern Virginia.  Reportedly has taken over the name, website, and several of the molds.  Wrong coast I know, but myself and friends are happy Gibbon repeat customers.  Again, for what its worth.  Lee

http://www.gibbonfiberglass.com/
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Roadstar

You couldn't GIVE me another Gibbon body or any of there junk parts!

"You could not GIVE me another Gibbon body".....I would have to agree with Rudy....Though I have never built a Gibbon Body or any glass car for that matter,I have seen the daily struggles first hand of a couple of local fellows who purchased them.One gave up and sold the unfinished project and the other persevered till the end but sold it immediately as he was not happy with the finished product. Just my opinion :)
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Grandadeo

Rudy, I guess that's what makes the world go round.  I've been buying Gibbon stuff since the 70's and have never had a problem.  Sorry you had bad luck with them.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Topsterguy

I've just finished a 5 window using one of New Age Motorsports bodies and am happy with it - now. BUT, it took a LOT of extra body work to get it right, and the door window moldings they give, at least the ones I got, are absoluetly useless garbage. I have to say tho that Ed, who runs the place, did everything he could to make things right with me for all the extra cost for body work, and apparently has since gone over his molds etc to make the bodies the way they should be ( and always were by Flatlanders). One thing - NAM bodies are the only ones that have the drip rails, and to me that was really important ( and should be if you want it to look realistic) Wescotts are in the final stages of doing theirs and it should be out soon, and judging by the quality of my roadster body from them I would wait and get theirs - period. As far as Gibbons goes I've never had one ( and wouldn't) but I've heard LOTS of horror stories about them. I took a chance on NAM when I ordered mine after seeing a "show body" in Pyuallup, and got a body that sure wasn't "prepped" the way the one in the show was, but as much as Ed was good about making things right with me I wouldn't use their body again without actually seeing the one I was getting. With Wescotts you can be pretty sure of the quality of their bodies.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Topsterguy

Quote from: "Topsterguy"I've just finished a 5 window using one of New Age Motorsports bodies and am happy with it - now. BUT, it took a LOT of extra body work to get it right, and the door window moldings they give, at least the ones I got, are absoluetly useless garbage. I have to say tho that Ed, who runs the place, did everything he could to make things right with me for all the extra cost for body work, and apparently has since gone over his molds etc to make the bodies the way they should be ( and always were by Flatlanders). One thing - NAM bodies are the only ones that have the drip rails, and to me that was really important ( and should be if you want it to look realistic) Wescotts are in the final stages of doing theirs and it should be out soon, and judging by the quality of my roadster body from them I would wait and get theirs - period. As far as Gibbons goes I've never had one ( and wouldn't) but I've heard LOTS of horror stories about them. I took a chance on NAM when I ordered mine after seeing a "show body" in Pyuallup, and got a body that sure wasn't "prepped" the way the one in the show was, but as much as Ed was good about making things right with me I wouldn't use their body again without actually seeing the one I was getting. With Wescotts you can be pretty sure of the quality of their bodies.

PS  Wherever you get a body make sure it's well cured before you get into it - We did all the bodywork etc then the paint and now I've got a couple of rough areas showing up from the body changing! RATS!!!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Dave

PS  Wherever you get a body make sure it's well cured before you get into it - We did all the bodywork etc then the paint and now I've got a couple of rough areas showing up from the body changing! RATS!!![/quote]

What I did was I let the body set out in the hot sun every chance I got while I was working on the frame and other things. I also worked on the whole car aligning the or shimming the body while it was in the hot sun then i let it bake a few hours there. The manufactures suggest baking them in a paint oven but the sun is free and with black jel coat it works great. Of course I didnt start my 32 till the end of july and the only winter work done on it was priming and painting and interior .
Dave

ps: there is a 32 5 window on ebay right now

Topsterguy

I got my body from NAM in Dec 03 and the body etc wasn't done til around Feb 05, and I stil got shrinkage on both sides of the rear window. I think it should have cured by then, but I guess not.  Again, be VERY cautious what you buy, and if you can actually pick the body up yourself at the manufacturers shop before you pay the balance do it, and check the body over really well!

OFOF

Last summer we stopped by Wescotts in Oregon and had a look at their new 5 window body.  It looked good but I don't know if they are in production yet.  I have always heard good things about Dee's products.  They come with a 2-2 1/2" chop.

Don
Don Palfreyman