OT - Vacuum Problems

Started by MikeC, April 06, 2006, 07:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeC

We have a relatively new Oreck vacuum cleaner. My wife was cleaning the bathroom yesterday and it died. This is the second time that we thought the switch went out. She impatiently went out today, dropped off the Oreck to be fixed and also purchased another vacuum. She just started cleaning again and the new one died after about 15 minutes. Is this just "dumb luck"? Or could it be something weird with the house wiring or receptical? Please tell me how to check this with my multi meter.
Thanks
MikeC

58 Yeoman

An electrician friend of mine at work says that a lot of people use the push in terminals on the backs of outlets, but he never does.  He says that they can loosen up, and the wire could pull out.  He always uses the screws on the sides.

I use the ac voltage scale that would handle the 120volts you will have in your house.  The black lead into one hole, the red lead into the other.  The larger slot and the ground hole are the ground.  The smaller slot is hot, so you should get a rreading between it and the other two terminals.  If not, you could have a bad outlet, or bad wire.

BTW, if you use the screws on the sides, be sure to curl the wire around it so that the screw tightens the wire loop, not loosen it.  (The end of wire should be towards your right, as the screw tightens clockwise).

Oh, and I've got an Oreck.  Be sure to keep a fresh belt on it, if you have a lot of carpets.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

I don't know how long you lived there, but when I moved into this house, I had an outlet that kept burning up appliances, come to find out they had two circuits crossed with the hot lead from two different phases hooked to the outlet, so it was getting 220 instead of 110.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Arnold

Quote from: "MikeC"We have a relatively new Oreck vacuum cleaner. My wife was cleaning the bathroom yesterday and it died. This is the second time that we thought the switch went out. She impatiently went out today, dropped off the Oreck to be fixed and also purchased another vacuum. She just started cleaning again and the new one died after about 15 minutes. Is this just "dumb luck"? Or could it be something weird with the house wiring or receptical? Please tell me how to check this with my multi meter.
Thanks
MikeC

You can't really check that with your average meter.If there is a loose connection( as mentioned)..perhaps in the receptacle.You're gonna have to look there..or elsewhere if you can find it.. for evidence of you trying to draw excessive current through it.What can happen..let's say you have a 15 amp circuit..you need to draw..I'dno..10 amps to run whatever.IF there is a bad connection..or a very worn receptacle..you may be pulling..maybe only 6-7 amps.The bad connection may be overheating..breaking..re joining contact.Now you have the whatever you are trying to run starving for amps.Some motors especially are more sensitive than others.There are numerous warnings on extension cord packages  about this.Burning out power tools.
  Nice when you have a light  that burns out bulbs ALL the time..and you find that that line(wiring to it) won't pull the required amperage..15/20 whatever..that the wire/connection somewhere is bad.Break out the fish tape.
  You can load test the circuit.With the proper meter and stuff..if you have it.I do a quick and dirty.If it is let's say a common..15-20 amp household circuit..I use something that will produce heat.I have an old electric heater that is very inefficient.This thing takes 10-12 amps to even make it begin to produce heat.I either plug this into the suspect receptacle..or I have one of those old adapters that screw into light bulb sockets for power.I get no heat..and I know that I am simply not being able to pull enough amps through that circuit.Grab something that produces heat..and plug it in.The kettle for example.If it takes too long..you're not pulling enough amps.Or if the fuse blows..ya got somein' wrong in the wiring/connections somewhere.
  Hope this helps..

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"I don't know how long you lived there, but when I moved into this house, I had an outlet that kept burning up appliances, come to find out they had two circuits crossed with the hot lead from two different phases hooked to the outlet, so it was getting 220 instead of 110.

I lost 2 tv sets till one day i discovered that one of the unused screws backed out of the outlet and when it got moved a little the screws to the box were loose also it would arc create a power surge and kill my tv. I make sure all the unused screws are tight but a lot of people dont.
Dave