Shrinker/Stretcher

Started by parklane, March 09, 2006, 02:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parklane

After looking through the tech section and finding Enjenjo's english wheel info, and Sum's brake, I'm wondering if it's possible/feasible to make up a stretcher and/or a shrinker, or is it too much of a hassle??

TIA
John  :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

1FATGMC

Quote from: "parklane"After looking through the tech section and finding Enjenjo's english wheel info, and Sum's brake, I'm wondering if it's possible/feasible to make up a stretcher and/or a shrinker, or is it too much of a hassle??
TIA
John  :)

I've thought about making one.  Lowbuck tools sells the parts and if they would sell you just the jaws (about $66 for one set -- see their site ( HERE )).  If you had access to a mill I think you could make the rest.

TM Technologies also has some new jaws (see next picture) that leave marks similar to  180 grit sandpaper grains.  The jaw set sells for $84.  I don't know if they have these for stretching besides the shrinking ones they show on ( THEIR SITE ).

I might try and do this when I get closer to having to make the body for my lakester.  If you do it take pictures and post.

c ya, Sum

unklian

A few guys on the metalshapers site have made their own.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "unklian"A few guys on the metalshapers site have made their own.
Neat :!:  :!:

Have any of them documented what they did?  How about the jaws?  Were they able to make their own?  I'm guessing they would have to be hardened, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd be interested in any additional info.

Thanks,

Sum

Bob Paulin

Check out the U.S. Tools website.

I believe their jaws are around $45 per set.

I bought the combination unit - one frame with both shrink and stretch jaws, but it IS a bit of a pain to swap them back and forth, so I'm planning to build another frame - copying my original one - to have both dedicated shrinker and stretcher.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"Check out the U.S. Tools website.

I bought the combination unit - one frame with both shrink and stretch jaws, but it IS a bit of a pain to swap them back and forth, so I'm planning to build another frame - copying my original one - to have both dedicated shrinker and stretcher.

B.P.

Bob do you have a link?  I did a search and couldn't find them.

Thanks,

Sum

unklian

I think most people use commercially available jaws.

There are some pictures in the Files section of our Yahoo group.

And there should be some in the Albums on allshops.org

Rex Schimmer

I bought mine probably 20 years ago from Aircraft Tooling and they were $50 each complete!. I stuck them in a vice and did it that way for years but when I started my roadster I built a frame that mounts both of them and then I have the handles connected to a foot pedal so my hands are free to hold and move the sheet metal and I just step on the pedal for the action. I think that there are some pictures of something similar on Metal Shapers. Sure seems handy to me and if you are doing steel you can reall bear down on the pedal. I have actually broken a set of jaws but I TIGed them back together and added some .060 4130 sheet to strengthen them and they haven't broken! I do think that they are heat treated but if you are only doing aluminum you might get by without heat treat. If you made them out of A10 tool steel which is air hardening you might be able to heat treat yourself.

Rex

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "Bob Paulin"Check out the U.S. Tools website.

B.P.

Bob do you have a link?  I did a search and couldn't find them.

Thanks,

Sum

www.ustool.com

1FATGMC

Quote from: "unklian"I think most people use commercially available jaws.

There are some pictures in the Files section of our Yahoo group.

And there should be some in the Albums on allshops.org

I registered for the Yahoo group and still have to look at the other link.  Lots of good stuff there.

I always wondered how to cut a radius on something in the lathe and found out how in the photo section where the guy is making the lower wheels for an English Wheel.

What is the official name of the tool in the picture?  I think I read radii cutter on the side of it, makes sense, but I can't find one under that name in my Enco catalog.  Maybe they don't sell anything like that.  I might have to figure out a way to make one of those also.  Looks handy.

Thanks again,

Sum

1FATGMC

I found one on eBay   and it was only used once.  New price a mere $1400 and I can get this one "buy now" for only $900 :cry: .

Guess I won't be getting one of these any time soon.

How come everything a person likes costs so much :wink: .

c ya,

Sum

Ed ke6bnl

I found one on eBay   and it was only used once.  New price a mere $1400 and I can get this one "buy now" for only $900 :cry: .

Guess I won't be getting one of these any time soon.

How come everything a person likes costs so much :wink: .

c ya,

Sum

I don't want to make your weekend bad but I got one at a garage sale for $30 with the wooden box and sells for over a $1000 haven't uset it yet I have so many other projects, Royal collet closer for $10.00 same sale. I tried to buy the whole garge full of equipment but that didn't work out. Ed

there are pleny of plans on the metal group sites to make simpler ones like this .
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

unklian

That's one way to cut anvils.

I did it by machining a series of steps to the appropriate dimensions,
to rough out the radius,then blended it with a disc grinder in the lathe.

Same way I did the rads for planishing hammer dies.

The math isn't that hard,I posted examples in the forums on allshops.org

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"I don't want to make your weekend bad but I got one at a garage sale for $30 with the wooden box and sells for over a $1000 haven't uset it yet I have so many other projects, Royal collet closer for $10.00 same sale. I tried to buy the whole garge full of equipment but that didn't work out. Ed

there are pleny of plans on the metal group sites to make simpler ones like this .

I'll give you $60 for it and you can double your money 8) .  If you find another one at that price you have my permission to buy it.  I found a used one on eBay for about $400, but it had already sold and I don't have $400 either.

Ian I'll look for what you did.  Sounds like a good way to go for what I want to do.

c ya, Sum

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"I don't want to make your weekend bad but I got one at a garage sale for $30 with the wooden box and sells for over a $1000 haven't uset it yet I have so many other projects, Royal collet closer for $10.00 same sale. I tried to buy the whole garge full of equipment but that didn't work out. Ed

I'll give you $60 for it and you can double your money 8) .  If you find another one at that price you have my permission to buy it.  I found a used one on eBay for about $400, but it had already sold and I don't have $400 either.

Ian I'll look for what you did.  Sounds like a good way to go for what I want to do.

c ya, Sum

Check out the magazine rack at better book stores such as Barnes & Noble.

There are two metalworking mags that I buy - "Home Shop Machinist" and "Metalworking Projects".

They are published by the same company and come out on alternating months.

It seems as though they publish an article on building your own radius cutter at least once-per-year in one or the other mag.

They are usually located in the sections that carry the woodworking stuff such as "Workbench".....

BTW - I have seen articles in which small radii were cut by simply rotating the compound around its pivot. The further away the cutting tool is from the center-point, the wider the arc - to a limited degree, of course.

Might work for an English Wheel anvil....

B.P.