Spring info

Started by enjenjo, February 14, 2006, 08:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Which Ford used a spring 1 1/2" wide? This sprint car has one in it, the shackles are shot, and I need to get some replacements.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

donsrods

EARLY Model T???? I think all the A's and forward were wider, and my '27 has a T spring on it, and I think it is 2", so maybe early T.

GPster

Are you talking front spring or back? I agree that the rear spring on a "T"  was only 2" where an "A" was 2 1/4" and I think the front springs may be 1 1/2" where the '28 thru '34s where 1 3/4". Give Gas Light in Urbana a call tomorrow. I think they'll know. GPster

enjenjo

This is a front spring.

butch27

Frank: Can't you use shackles from a trailer shop, or does it have to be period perfect??

enjenjo

I'm trying to make it look original, after all, this will be in a museum. As it stands right now, it has one correct shackle in front, and a wide one with a spacer in it on the other side, and they are both worn out.

48ford

Frank,
Check with Rim& wheel on Tracy road.
Thay may have what you need.
Russ

enjenjo

Quote from: "48ford"Frank,
Russ

I went by your house yesterday. Went over to Gibsonburg to get some aluminum polished.

It's no ptoblem getting the shackle, I just need the original application to get the right one.

donsrods

How about a picture of the one you have?  Is it possible it is some other make than Ford, after all it is on a sprint car that probably used a collection of various parts?

Don

butch27

Frank: there is a Dirt racing museum in Weedsport,NY. They restore old cars and may be able to give you some help.   No Luck yet on the Anglia spindles.

enjenjo

It's possible they are most anything, but they look like the rear shackles, which are Model A, but 2" wide. If I have too, I can mill a pair of A shackles to fit, but it would be cheaper to find the right one if possible.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"they look like the rear shackles, which are Model A, but 2" wide
Model "T" rear springs are 2" wide (I thought I said that), GPster

Carnut

Various Ford Shackles can be found here at Snyders, heres the Model T Page:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/modeltparts/FrontRearSprings

48ford

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "48ford"Frank,
Russ

I went by your house yesterday. Went over to Gibsonburg to get some aluminum polished.

It's no ptoblem getting the shackle, I just need the original application to get the right one.
Nice working with the door open,but now back to winter!
Russ

enjenjo

QuoteNice working with the door open,but now back to winter!

Ain't that the truth! I worked outside in a Tshirt yesterday.