Hand drill repair question??????

Started by slocrow, February 10, 2006, 02:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

My Craftsman corded hand drill started slipping while under a load. I took it apart and found that the ring gear was slipping on the shaft. It's presumably a pressed fit. In an attempt to fix the problem, it appears as though I might be able to drill a hole in a shoulder that's on one side of the gear and continue through the main shaft and exit through the shaft and then the shoulder on the opposite side. I'm thinking of trying to pin the gear to the shaft and although the shoulder is only 1/8" I'm concerned if this is a practical solution. I'm also wondering if the hardness of the gear and shaft make this a unrealistic resolution?
Yeah, I know, upgrade to a new drill but I like to repair things if possible or at least give it a thought process.
Any other ideas????   Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

GPster

Quote from: "slocrow"
Any other ideas????   Thanks, Frank
Loctite? GPster

donsrods

Toss it. These have become so cheap that it isn't worth the time to monkey with it. Plus, there is some danger in operating electric hand tools you have altered or tried to repair.

My metal cutting chopsaw almost took my ear off one day when it exploded. I THOUGHT I had repaired the nut on the end the day before. It now lives at the dump.

Just my opinion, and I like to fix things too, so I understand.

Don

phat rat

JB Weld it or toss it. As has been said their not that expensive these days. However Frank I realise your on a fixed income so do you need some money to buy the JB Weld? :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Find out who actually made the tool, and I might have some parts for it. Or pickup a non operating drill at the pawn shop and use it for parts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

OBT and I talked about this thread tonight over a couple/three brews and agreeed that this is a new low for an already exceedingly cheap date.....LOL, actually we ROTFALOAO.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

Frank, it looks as though you could give Rodney Dangerfield a run for his money.  You are getting no respect on this post. :lol:   :lol:  :lol:

exsedan

Here's an interesting site that I found while trying to find parts for one of my favorite worn out pieces of equipment. Might try these folks......

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/toolparts.html

Have given the addy to several people and they all seem to be satisfied with the service.

EXSEDAN

slocrow

Why do I bother????? It's not often you can find talented car guys and amateur comedians in such abundance. Sphere busting as an intended sideline appears to be the avocation of a mechanical inclined, car building duo in the Muskegon area. At least my name was mentioned at the Friday night hops feast.
Too those who sincerely suggested alternative options such as Loctite or JB Weld, thanks.
Frank, your offer of used parts is deeply appreciated but probably logistically challenged though the pawn shop is an excellent idea.
As suggested, tossing it is probably the route I'll go after stripping it down for usable parts.
Thanks for the tool parts site, exsedan. I'll check it out.
I just thought an attempted repair would be a good way to break in my new drill press and create a feeling of satisfaction. Oh yeah, and save a buck!

The last time I was harangued by my "friends" it was about a repair to the keypad buttons on the TV remote control. There is a cure for that malaise so I'll offer it up here http://www.web-tronics.com/rukerekitc.html , just to expand the knowledge....................(smile).

I think cabin fever is taking hold.................Frank

phat rat

so I don't need to send you money for JB Weld?

donsrods

JB weld costs more than drills these days. :D  :P  :)

Nobody was picking on you, but I learned my lesson when I spent half a day trying to fix the toaster, then went down to Walmart and bought a new one for $ 9.99.

The one I fixed worked ok, but would fire the toast 3 feet in the air when it was done.

Land Yacht

I would try to repair it, that's just me. Especially if the new ones are from mexico or china. Is the ring gear steel? Maybe a set screw would work.
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

slocrow

No worries Don. I know most of these boys first hand and I'm pretty thick skinned. We're just playing with each other.
Of course I was interested in possibly fixing the problem but knew going in that I was leaving myself wide open. Thanks for your concern.

Jack, send the cash............................

Land Yacht; Yes it's steel. My bud said this morning to just tac weld it to the shaft, which I might do.....................................Frank

Fat Cat

Quote from: "slocrow"I'm pretty thick skinned.

That comes from all the years of being poked with a 10 foot or better length pole, usually sharpened to a point.

:lol:

slocrow

You tell um, Lance..........................See what I mean!