F-1 Radiator

Started by Grandadeo, March 22, 2004, 04:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandadeo

Looking for any suggestions and experiences for buying a new radiator for my '48 F-1 Panel Truck.  So far I've checked with Griffin - $610 - ouch, and Sacramento Vintage Ford - about $350 - a little closer to earth.  I believe their's is a "US Radiator" brass model.  No Limit lists one in their most resent ad but when you call they say they don't carry them for F-1s.  Any thoughts?    

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

GPster

Now a dumb question. For a stock engine or something else? When I got my Jeepster someone had put a flathead in it and used some kind of a flathead radiator. If you need a radiator for a flathead give me some dimensions and we'll check and see if I have it. Mine has ears on the sides of the lower tank and I guess it was set on coil springs.The engine was the '39 to '48 variety. GPster

Grandadeo

Excellent point GPster.  I failed to mention that this is for a small block Ford/automatic application.  Hose outlets lower right and upper center if possible.  Thanks.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Slick 50

You might try * Z at SRS. (streetrodstuff.com)
He sells PRC radiators and has good reviews regarding his product and service.

Order By Phone: (330) 837-3699
Mon-Fri 8am-6pm EST, Sat 8am-12pm EST
Ken    8)
aka Slick 50

enjenjo

FWIW, I had a 52 F1, I used a later model F100 radiator in it with a Buick engine. Had to drill a couple holes but it fit nice. If you can find one for a SBF, it should be a cakewalk. The radiators were similar in size until about 79 or so. give me a core size, and I'll look it up in the Modine book.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "Grandadeo"Looking for any suggestions and experiences for buying a new radiator for my '48 F-1 Panel Truck.  So far I've checked with Griffin - $610 - ouch, and Sacramento Vintage Ford - about $350 - a little closer to earth.  I believe their's is a "US Radiator" brass model.  No Limit lists one in their most resent ad but when you call they say they don't carry them for F-1s.  Any thoughts?    

Lee

I ran my 50 F1 with a radiator out or an extra 76 mustang v8 rad I had, ran cool with an electric fan from a jeep cherokee, I finally went with a griffin and dual spal fans for my 327  300 hp and it never over heats but does not run as cool as it did with the stock 76 mustang..  and I have a lot on money in the new aluminum system.  Looks good though and  is working.  When it does reach the set point of 195 in oly runs a minute or so and cycles off.  A friend has a 327 and he is using the original v8 flatty rad. and mechanical fan and says is works great.  Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

48bill

US Radiator sells a "dessert cooler" radiator which I have had in my 1948 F-1 with a 425 ci Caddy for over 12,000 miles and it works great.  

Most days running around town the 190 degree electric fan doesn't even kick in.  In the middle of winter I have to block off a large surface of the radiator to get it to heat up for the heater to work best.

They have a website to help you order what you need: http://www.usradiator.com

The radiator has the original shaped tanks and mounting provisions and they placed the inlets and outlets where I spec'd them.
48bill
Bill C from Connecticut
48 Chevrolet Cabriolet

SKR8PN

Quote from: "enjenjo"FWIW, I had a 52 F1, I used a later model F100 radiator in it with a Buick engine. Had to drill a couple holes but it fit nice. If you can find one for a SBF, it should be a cakewalk. The radiators were similar in size until about 79 or so. give me a core size, and I'll look it up in the Modine book.

That is what I was going to suggest, Frank.  The Modine book lists every size core they sell,with inlet/outlet positions and they even have pictures of some of the cores. They also have one HECK of a good warranty!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.