Steering Column U Joints

Started by parklane, January 28, 2006, 04:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parklane

Just in the process of hooking up the steering linkage from the R&P to the column, and need a couple of U joints, or maybe double U joints. Can someone tell me how much of an angle can safely be made with a single and double U joint??  TIA

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

moose

Quote from: "parklane"Just in the process of hooking up the steering linkage from the R&P to the column, and need a couple of U joints, or maybe double U joints. Can someone tell me how much of an angle can safely be made with a single and double U joint??  TIA

John

Each manufacturer has a different spec. most are limited to less than I think 30 degrees.

moose

phat rat

Quote from: "parklane"Just in the process of hooking up the steering linkage from the R&P to the column, and need a couple of U joints, or maybe double U joints. Can someone tell me how much of an angle can safely be made with a single and double U joint??  TIA

John

If you decide to go with a double joint holler as I've got one to sell if the end size would work for you. It's a Borgeson 3/4"DD x 1"DD and Borgeson claims their good up to a 70 degree angle. They sell for $112-$120 in the catalogs, I'll sell this one, it's new never used, for $85 including shipping.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Mr Cool

Quote from: "phat rat"They sell for $112-$120 in the catalogs, I'll sell this one, it's new never used, for $85 including shipping.
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:
The thieving retaillers over here want over AU$300 for those. Thats about US$225.  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: Now THATS a huge mark-up in anyones book.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

2buck

Back in the 60's before these high tech universal joints were readily available I used a power take off joint. It is rather 'clunky' looks wise but worked fine. :D

phat46

John

John, the borgeson ones I have used say that 30 degrees is max. for a single. Maybe they have a website with info on it.

docchevy

I used some stock GM joints off of a junked Cadillac and they work fine.  The problem is getting the same splines as the shaft.... so I used a cadillac shaft.  When I got to the rag joint I used the Ford and that fit the steering box shaft.
One of the things no one ever tells you is that you should spot weld them on when the entire car is done.  Otherwise you could get a nasty surprise.  Good luck!
Remember; Physics explains everything!

Varicam

Quote from: "docchevy"One of the things no one ever tells you is that you should spot weld them on when the entire car is done.  Otherwise you could get a nasty surprise.  Good luck!

Absolutely!  Some of the manufacturers warn against welding because it might cause damage to the needle bearings.  But, it still can be done as long as it's done carefully.  An alternative is to put a spot weld on the shaft so it can't go too far into the u-joint.  If welding isn't done, at least put in roll pins so the shaft can't enter too far and bind up the u-joint.

32 Chevy

I must have wandered around boneyards for 3 days trying different U joints that were compact enough to fit between the 56 column and the Cavalier rack. Finally I just bit the buellet and bought a set of Borgesons, single swivels for the ends and the support bearing with double U joint in the middle. The time I woulda saved  by doing that the first time I could have used for something constructive.

Dave R

EMSjunkie

I got my steering joints from Speedway.
they work real well.

I do believe that 30* is the limit for single joints.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

parklane

Quote from: "32 Chevy"I must have wandered around boneyards for 3 days trying different U joints that were compact enough to fit between the 56 column and the Cavalier rack. Finally I just bit the buellet and bought a set of Borgesons, single swivels for the ends and the support bearing with double U joint in the middle. The time I woulda saved  by doing that the first time I could have used for something constructive.

Dave R

Dave...........Were two singles enough to go from the rack to the column??

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Pep

Borgenson now has unis operating at 35 degrees.......

QuoteThe thieving retaillers over here want over AU$300 for those. Thats about US$225.    Now THATS a huge mark-up in anyones book.

Yeah...I know where, and that's why I went straight to Borgenson.

Just on a side note...you can knock a lot of production unis apart and re marry them with others. Just takes a little grinding with a Dremel to grind the peened tabs off. Re join and use a centre punch to make new peen tab retainers. You will find many metric unis are the same as imperial. This way, you can make many different creations. The main issue is shaft length.
See Ya
Pep

38racing

Quote from: "32 Chevy"I must have wandered around boneyards for 3 days trying different U joints that were compact enough to fit between the 56 column and the Cavalier rack. Finally I just bit the buellet and bought a set of Borgesons, single swivels for the ends and the support bearing with double U joint in the middle. The time I woulda saved  by doing that the first time I could have used for something constructive.

Dave R

Does the double count  as 2 joints meaning you have 4 joints? Would you not  then need 2 support bearings in this setup?

Pep

Yes..you will need 2 support bearings. One above the uni, and the other below.
See Ya
Pep